www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: prob with framesets and links from outside

Hybrid View

prob with framesets and links from outside

I can't create a link to any internal pages in a site that I just took over. All links from elsewhere take me to the default page.

It uses topFrame, mainFrame, and bottomFrame in a frameset to keep a consistent banner and footer, while different content pages swap in and out.

The javascript file says:

if (top.location == self.location) {

top.location = '../default.htm'

}

It's obvious why the links keep resolving to the default page, but I have no idea what to change it to so that links to inside pages work. These pages have names like pictures.htm, join.htm, etc.

I hope I gave enough detail to make sense, and appreciate any help you can offer.

At my site, I do exactly what I think you want, like this:

* Let it load with the three pages as they normally would.
    * The content FRAME tag has an 'id="framec"' attribute.
    * The FRAMESET tag has "onload='OtherPage();'" as an attribute.
    * There is a JavaScript function called "OtherPage" which picks up the document.location to check for anything after a question (?) mark. This would be the target content page.
    * If that target exists and is different from the default, I use "window.frames['framec'].location=Target;" to reload that page within the frameset.
    Please give me a hand at http://www.gofundme.com/bkzr98.

Quote Originally Posted by jakespeare View Post
    I can't create a link to any internal pages in a site that I just took over. All links from elsewhere take me to the default page....
    This is why framesets are so hated

If you are concerned about page links from "within" your site then all you need to do is add the "target=" attribute to all your <a> tags to tell the frameset which frame to open the page in. If you leave out "target=" it defaults to top.

So

<a href="somepage.html">Click</a>

becomes

<a href="somepage.htm" target="contentpagename">Click</a>

If you want to have external links from "without" your site be able to load a page then you'll need to do something like jalarie was suggesting

Thread Information