www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Photoshop, replacing specific colors

Photoshop, replacing specific colors

Is there a way to switch specific colors in Photoshop? Lets say I have a yellow school bus and i want to turn it into a green bus, is there an easy way of doing this?

Menu Bar: Image > Adjustments > Replace Color

Hope that helps!
    "...art can lead you to God...if it's not doing that, it's leading you the other way. It's certainly not leading you nowhere."
    Bob Dylan

Thanks, but that doesn't do exactly what I want it to do. What I'm looking for is a way to exchange 2 very specific colors. Lets say I have an image, and I want part of it to match the exact hex color of the background on my website. With the color replace tool, all I can do it slide the hue/saturation bar around, and it would take me forever to match the color perfectly. Even if I pick a specific color in the color picker, it will be modified to match the brightness of the original color.

I guess the only thing to do is select the color that i want to modify and paint over it

Quote Originally Posted by snakeye
    Thanks, but that doesn't do exactly what I want it to do. What I'm looking for is a way to exchange 2 very specific colors. Lets say I have an image, and I want part of it to match the exact hex color of the background on my website. With the color replace tool, all I can do it slide the hue/saturation bar around, and it would take me forever to match the color perfectly. Even if I pick a specific color in the color picker, it will be modified to match the brightness of the original color.

I guess the only thing to do is select the color that i want to modify and paint over it
    If you're looking to match a background color, your best option is to make that part of your image transparent. That way if you ever change your background color you don't have to edit the image. (Use a .gif if it's a simple image with a few colors, a .png if it's more than that)

(If you want to try the color replacement again, if you click the color box at the top of the color replacement window, it gives you a color picker window which you can input exactly the target color you're looking for, with a box for a hex code. If you still have trouble with it, you can post the file, and I can help.)
    Last edited by Ferret; 08-05-2007 at 08:40 AM.
    "...art can lead you to God...if it's not doing that, it's leading you the other way. It's certainly not leading you nowhere."
    Bob Dylan

Or you could do something similar to what Ferret said and first select the part of the image using any of the selection methods, and then make a new layer and fill it with that color. Then you can blend and mold it into how you want it to look.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferret
    If you're looking to match a background color, your best option is to make that part of your image transparent. That way if you ever change your background color you don't have to edit the image. (Use a .gif if it's a simple image with a few colors, a .png if it's more than that)

(If you want to try the color replacement again, if you click the color box at the top of the color replacement window, it gives you a color picker window which you can input exactly the target color you're looking for, with a box for a hex code. If you still have trouble with it, you can post the file, and I can help.)
    But what I'm trying to say is that the color picker will give me the color I want, but then that color will be modified to match the brightness of my original color.

So, you're looking to replace the area of color with a flat color? If that's what you want, simply create a mask for that area and then fill it. BTW, I'd fill a new layer (as mentioned above), just in case.
    Last edited by harumph; 08-29-2007 at 12:13 PM.

you could select all areas on the bus that are the shades of yellow, then desaturate it and make sure it's a lighter color. If it isn't a light shade of grey you can use replace color to get it lighter then create a layer over top of the bus with the area still selected, fill it with the background color and change the layer to an overlay or another that works for you.

Mods please don't kill me for this five-year thread bump: but I'm replying for the sake of people who google to find this thread just like I did (it's no. 1 in google results for 'photoshop replace exact color with another'), and am offering an ideal solution for this problem which I just discovered and I've always sought but never found:

Do this:

Replace color, select the color you want to replace, then in the replacement area, ever since CS2, next to the sliders you can CLICK on the color box and then choose the exact hex/rgb etc that you want to replace it with!

brilliant...

It works. Thanks

yeah as ferret said Menu Bar: Image > Adjustments > Replace Color

I think you need Photoshop Color Correction, photoshop is the best way to do this kind of work. First go to image then adjustment and then replace color. Thanks

Thread Information