www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: GetElementByID in Internet Explorer

GetElementByID in Internet Explorer

Hello,

First im not a javascript coder and work normally in PHP. I know basic javascript so that ive produced on my site may not be the best way of achieving what i want.

I have http://www.footballprogrammecentre.c...ales.php?id=16 which is selling items. Its using a 3rd party cart to store the products in and im manifulating it using javascript to look after by shipping cost needs as it doesnt cater for this in the php code.

If you click the little basket with the green arrow it adds a product to your cart, in firefox the page then reloads (forced by javascript) to caclulate the shipping cost. However in IE nothing happens... I think because of an error which the javascript has created on the page... possibly as the GetElementById function is trying to access a tag which isnt on my page initially and only exists in the cart page which isnt loaded until an item is added to cart?

Can anyone help me out please?

Thank you very much
    Craig

Just a query:
    Be sure you are using 'getElementById' and not 'GetElementById'.

Also, it does not seem to like line 398 of your code
    as I'm getting error reports that 'document.getElementById('ej_ejc_frm_1") is null
    usually indicating it does not exist or that you have some sort of typo error.
    Last edited by JMRKER; 07-13-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Additional error

Hi,
    Thanks for your reply, yes i am using getElementById... im just not too used to JS syntax which is why i used a capital G in my post

Quote Originally Posted by JMRKER View Post
    Just a query:
    Be sure you are using 'getElementById' and not 'GetElementById'.

Also, it does not seem to like line 398 of your code
    as I'm getting error reports that 'document.getElementById('ej_ejc_frm_1") is null
    usually indicating it does not exist or that you have some sort of typo error.

Yes thats exactly my problem as this element only exists once the cart has been activated, however i do not know how to work around this

Can you create a place-holder element with that name/id until the real element is accessed?

Add a boolean statement around it:

Code:
    if(document.getElementById('ej_ejc_frm_1')) { /* do your stuff */ }
    else { /* do something else */ }
    Mullanaphy!
    http://www.mullanaphy.com/

Unless code is provided or an exact example is requested I think I'm going to start using psuedo code from now on...

Also, I freelance as well. Inquire within!

Quote Originally Posted by Shorts View Post
    Add a boolean statement around it:

Code:
    if(document.getElementById('ej_ejc_frm_1')) { /* do your stuff */ }
    else { /* do something else */ }

Amen that man!! Now i just have a slightly differnet error further down the page (line 440, n is not defined).. Any advice please?

Thank you so much so far!

Haven't delved much into your source, but one of the array's is trying to read index N of an array that looks like it's being set depending on other aspects.

Would say add an "n = 0;" right after "function disableQty()" and then find out why it's not being set.

And this is all from a Tim :P
    Mullanaphy!
    http://www.mullanaphy.com/

Unless code is provided or an exact example is requested I think I'm going to start using psuedo code from now on...

Also, I freelance as well. Inquire within!

Thread Information