www.webdeveloper.com
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: How to ask user to install another browser

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6

    How to ask user to install another browser

    I'd like to make a javascript to check if users have ie6- and if ask them to install ie7/mozilla/opera. I'd like this page to appear for 10 seconds and then go directly to the home page. Thank you a lot. I really need this.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Uk
    Posts
    10
    Hi, there are tons of posts already written on the subject.

    This might have the solution to your problem:
    http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/showthread.php?t=455334

    However, I would like to point out here that unless your website is the best thing since sliced bread, people are probably not going to download and install a new browser just to view your site.

    If you are developing in Windows, microsoft is offering a virtual machine you can download and run IE6 nativly in.
    It works a treat and is part of our test suit when we test our site.
    Pay it Forward for website testing: visit LiteTest.com

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7

    Exclamation

    I think such an action is rather bad. There is most likely a reason why most users still has IE6 around. Like me, I'm stick to it at work (major IT-infrastructure provider), since the management has decided to not upgrade the browsers because many of the internal web-tools are written to work with IE6 and not to be standard compilant. In such case, you will only annoy the users to wait for 10 seconds every time they access the site.

    A better solution would be to go for a webdev kit that can handle different browsers, such as IE6, and you still only have to provide one html/javascript source for the site. One good such toolkit is this one: http://www.libzter.com/wiki/index.php/Dojo

    Although, if you still concider not supporting IE6, then simply add a small notice by javascript that the user can close somewhere on the site that it's not supported by IE6 and suggest an update. As noted before me, no one will probably update the browser because of your site - there is nearly always a reason why people keep old software.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    6
    how can i do that? for example like one of those in-site popus that have a close button, or like a slider? please help

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by arthurav2005 View Post
    how can i do that? for example like one of those in-site popus that have a close button, or like a slider? please help
    Really, I should use some library for that, and just paste a few lines of code.. Dojo, that I mentioned is good, also you can use Yahoos javascript lib very straight forward with a few lines of html/javascript. There is actually a complete example of how to create such a dialog at this place with yahoo. You need to grab the lib first though, the link provides the example and a download link.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    urbana, il
    Posts
    2,787
    don't ask, tell.

    if you can't block them out altogether because of rules, at least annoy the **** out of them so they B1tch to IT to get off their ass and do their jobs!
    this 10 year old browser needs to go away yesterday.

    damn IE6, damn it to hell!

    starting this fall, we are serving IE6 users the print css instead of the screen, and turning of all scripts.


    we should all be pressing to break sites in ie6, only then will it get replaced.
    perhaps extra loops counting to a million in the background will slow things down for them even more.
    add conditional css quirks (not that you really need any extras) to discourage ie6.
    a couple extra alerts, or actions that raise the IE6 warnings will help as well.

    in short, the entire webdev community needs to come together to get this monkey of our back!

    we should all stop mollycoddling antiquated IT personnel; it has not worked in the past, and won't ever work.

    force them to do the right thing, stop begging!



    please dont download a library that i must wait for to annoy IE6 users...


    use a lightweight script like this:

    you can kill the first two or last line as need to accomplish the level of poking required.
    Code:
    <script>if(document.all && !window.XMLHttpRequest){
        document.write("<div id='ie6annoy'>Please upgrade to a 21st century browser to view this site!</div>");
        setTimeout("document.all('ie6annoy').style.display='none';",   10 * 1000);   //hide notification in 10secs
        setTimeout("window.location.href='/'; ",   10 * 1000);   //auto-forward in 10secs
    }</script>
    Last edited by rnd me; 07-13-2009 at 06:33 PM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bucharest, ROMANIA
    Posts
    15,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Razman View Post
    I think such an action is rather bad. There is most likely a reason why most users still has IE6 around. Like me, I'm stick to it at work (major IT-infrastructure provider), since the management has decided to not upgrade the browsers because many of the internal web-tools are written to work with IE6 and not to be standard compilant. In such case, you will only annoy the users to wait for 10 seconds every time they access the site.

    A better solution would be to go for a webdev kit that can handle different browsers, such as IE6, and you still only have to provide one html/javascript source for the site. One good such toolkit is this one: http://www.libzter.com/wiki/index.php/Dojo

    Although, if you still concider not supporting IE6, then simply add a small notice by javascript that the user can close somewhere on the site that it's not supported by IE6 and suggest an update. As noted before me, no one will probably update the browser because of your site - there is nearly always a reason why people keep old software.
    In theory you are right. But for the particular case of IE6 you and your company are deeply wrong. Are you talking about "standard compliance"? Well, then we must tell you that IE6 is OUT of any standards. Coding for IE6 took me always about extra 30% of my total working time, thus I earn 1/3 less money because of this stupid browser. Even Microsoft encourages the users to replace IE6 with IE8 (or at least with IE7, which is a relative decent browser).

    Tell your "management" people to move their a...s and pay for a changing of your "internal tools" in order to make them really "standard compliant". And get rid of that dynosaurian IE6.

    Do you want to live in the medieval ages forever?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7

    resolved

    Quote Originally Posted by Kor View Post
    Tell your "management" people to move their a...s and pay for a changing of your "internal tools" in order to make them really "standard compliant". And get rid of that dynosaurian IE6.

    Do you want to live in the medieval ages forever?

    Trust me, really - trust me. I want to erase IE6 from the earth yesterday. I really looking forward to create interactive websites with the really features of the new versions of javascript(3) and CSS - flash and silverlight is so outdated! In that case, IE7 and IE8 is really not anything that will last for very long either - but anything is better than IE6.

    I only work as a consultant for that company and it has ~30,000 employees, and a lot of people in better positions is probably working on the problem so me sending a mail to the CIO is probably not really a going to change a thing. ;-)

    But - as there are people in my position (when working for that company) that have no control of thier computers - that's customers/visitiors going somewhere else but to your site. But yes - its ok to annoy them enough so the very few left might concider clicking "update windows".

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Bucharest, ROMANIA
    Posts
    15,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Razman View Post
    Trust me, really - trust me. I want to erase IE6 from the earth yesterday. I really looking forward to create interactive websites with the really features of the new versions of javascript(3) and CSS - flash and silverlight is so outdated! In that case, IE7 and IE8 is really not anything that will last for very long either - but anything is better than IE6.

    I only work as a consultant for that company and it has ~30,000 employees, and a lot of people in better positions is probably working on the problem so me sending a mail to the CIO is probably not really a going to change a thing. ;-)

    But - as there are people in my position (when working for that company) that have no control of thier computers - that's customers/visitiors going somewhere else but to your site. But yes - its ok to annoy them enough so the very few left might concider clicking "update windows".
    I know, I know... My own boss is stubborn enough to keep IE6 (because some of his clients have internal applications built for IE6), thus I am obliged to code everything for IE6 as well. But I do not use separate HTML documents for IE6, I simply use some intricate tricks (png acceptance, CSS and javascript special workarounds, and so on). It is not a wise idea to build an entire separate site for IE6, nor to exclude IE6 users from view. All I want, as a coder, is to see IE6 under 10% on the market, then I might tell my boss that is the moment to persuade his clients to update their applications.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    urbana, il
    Posts
    2,787
    Quote Originally Posted by Kor View Post
    All I want, as a coder, is to see IE6 under 10% on the market, then I might tell my boss that is the moment to persuade his clients to update their applications.
    is 10% little enough to ignore?
    that's equal to safari, chrome, and opera combined, and we certainly don't ignore those guys now...

    The way IE6 will die out is by people buying new computers with ie7/8, safari, or chrome pre-installed. Luckily, win2k and xp are discontinued, so the problem should be getting better as machines break and become obsolete, taking IE6 with them. IE6 is also most predominate on desktop computers, a shrinking category of connected user agents.

    My guess is that IE6 can be safely ignored by even the most professional devs around the second half of 2011.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles