www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I`m ready to host my site. How to attach the domain to it?

I`m ready to host my site. How to attach the domain to it?

I`m using LAMPP on my machine and I want to start a server, but instead of the ugly ip I want to have a domain name. I bought one from godaddy but I don`t know how to configure it... I made it only to redirect me to my site, but the IP shows again in the adress bar.
    I can`t find anywhere tutorial how to make the domain to show up instead of the ip...

You have to register your IP with GoDaddy to update their and all DNS servers across the world.

Any idea how?

Maybe this will help http://www.easydns.com/index.php

I am not going to go in to great depth but theirs several reasons why you do not want to serve from home.

The first one is your bandwidth, you may have excelent downstream bandwidth but crappy upstream bandwidth so you ability to use your home connection for surfing will be compromised.

THEN your ISP may just decide to send you a bill for abuse of the AUP you agreed to when you signed up. In most cases in the small print you will find that they do not allw serving from home and you could find that your service is terminated without notice and still liable for the remainder of your contract.

You open your machine up to all sorts of hacking attempts.

I know from experience of running web servers, pop servers and trackers. It would be cheaper for you to pay a hosting company, most are cheap. Mine costs me £30 a year all in inc domain name and unlimited bandwidth. So cheap affordable professional hosting is available, you just need to wade through the cow boyz.

If you are insisting on serving from home, whoever sold you your domain will have a domain control panel for you to point the URL to whatever domain you are using. You need to select the "domain masking" or similar sounding option which will mask the IP address with the domain name.

Thread Information