dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Swapping remote image on click

Swapping remote image on click

I'm looking for some advice on the "best approach" to creating what I can only sum up as a remote swap (probably bad terminology).
    What I want accomplish: users click on small image which in turn swaps a much larger image in a alternate location on the same page.
    Relevant factors: Flash is in all likelihood NOT an option.... this site is for a construction company that must be user friendly to Oil Patch workers utilizing satellite access (much too slow for Flash).
    I was thinking that Javascript may be the best avenue but simply can not find any references for such an action. Probably due to mis-labeling of what I want accomplish.
    Any help is greatly appreciated.
    Cary

so close!

but I (as I'm prone to) did not explain as thoroughly as needed. Thank you so much for the quick response and help. I actually have another site that will benefit from those lightboxes. However, on this particular site there is a main image the width of the page that is static when the pages load. The client would like the smaller gallery style project boxes running underneath that image (on click) to change that main large photo to the relevant project photo. So when I say remote - I know realize that was indeed bad terminology.

Does that make sense? click on one image and it changes another image on the same page....

Thanks again, it's been so many years since I was on here, I couldn't even remember my info, but one visit and I remember why I liked this site soooo much!

Cary

I thought his would have to be done by Ajax - apparently not.

I think this is the one...

Thank you so much, I knew it was out there and this looks familiar (I did this a number of years ago and couldn't remember).
    I've been puddering through it for awhile now and can't get it to work but I will.... I suck quite badly at javascripting but I will keep at it.
    Thanks again, you guys (and gals) rock!

If you're worried about load times, you'll probably want to use the lightbox. The type of gallery you described would require the page to load both the thumbnails and full-sized images. The lightbox method only pulls the full-sized image when the link is clicked.

Thread Information