www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Best Way to Add Video?

Best Way to Add Video?

I am new to adding video to our website (www.tcmtr.org/digitalstory/default.htm) for a digital storytelling project. We were able to add one video file with marginal success but are now in need of a more complete solution for this video and others.

Any suggestions for the best way to accomplish this so that we are able to have the videos accessible to as many people as possible would be great.

I visited your site -- seems you are using Windows Media Player now. It is an ActiveX component which cannot supported by all browser, and the loading speed is very slow (I waited over 3 minutes and your site is still loading). This is because Windows Media Player does not play your movie in 'streaming' mode.

If you have Adobe Flash you can use it to create a flash video player, remember to covert your files into .FLV format for best video streaming. Alternatively, you can consider some flash video player software, or flash video converts which can help you to do that. The flash video player I suggested (at http://video.a4desk.com) comes with few video player gallery skins, and can automatically convert your windows media file (wmv, or avi) into .FLV file for streaming.

Using YouTube.com to convert video to FLV.

Nowadays, flash video FLV is the leading format applying web-video like YouTube,google video,yahoo video ect. When you add your routine video such as .wmv , .mpeg, .mov... YouTube will convert them to FLV automatically and then play your video in their wensite. So we may use this for converting video to flv:

1.Upload your non-flash video to YouTube;(But the lack is that Youtube only accepts.wmv .mpeg .avi ect, if you have other format,you cant use this method.)

2.Download the video from Youtube and you will get flash video.(But the lack is that you cant endit your video.)

Using Flash 8.0 to convert video to flv.

Starting with Flash MX 2004,this software had already supported FLV format. But penman advises you to use the lastest edition Flash 8.0 to convert video to flv. The editon owns a unaided to flv converter:Flash 8.0 video encoder. Click system menu "process" "Macromedia" "Macromedia flash8.0 video encoder".

Flash is the best way to show videos on web page.
    Don't use Windows Media Player, it only plays video in PC, if you are on a Mac computer, you cannot view video which is played in Windows Media Player.

To make more people viewing your video, I think it's better to add flash videos onto website, for flash video is the video adobe flash player can handle and, most of PC users has adobe flash player in their PC.

the flash video player tedscoffee recommended may work for you, you may use it. I personally use a free flash video player tool, which enables me to customize a flash video player for website and add videos onto website with a few mouse-clicks.

put it on google video or youtube. Then you can stream video and use their bandwidth to get your message out on a much bigger pipe.
    Last edited by 6StringGeek; 06-18-2009 at 09:45 PM. Reason: spellin erras

Streaming video

Hello you can have a look on BlinkoTV to find out more details about how to stream video on the Internet. There is a tutorial section where you will find valuable information.

What file formats Blinco supported?

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by marcyg View Post
    Any suggestions for the best way to accomplish this so that we are able to have the videos accessible to as many people as possible would be great.
    Have you tried signing up to video upload sites, they generate the script for you to copy and paste into your code.

I recommend viddler.com very highly.

Video Format

Hello

You can do flash streaming with Blinko and it doesn t require any additional software to start broadcasting LIVE.

The original and most widely accessible file format is an MPeg1 format mpg file, none of this FLASH crap or other "Streaming" systems.

Give the end user the option to download and watch on their home PC if they do not have a very good connection or streaming is problematic like with my ISP streaming video is out the window, so for me to watch online video requires me to download...

Flash is not accessible to all, MPeg1 is. What I wonder about is why people are bothering with flash video when it is often just a wrapper for an Mpeg1 file (originally)... Makes you think why wrap something up that is completely accessible in a format that is not user friendly.

1). The video clips’ size will be limited when using the on-line video converter;
    2). What is worse, the conversion quality is not ensured.and this will destroy your video. For example,the audio and picture are not in-phase when the conversion finish.
    You may try a third party video to flv converter or encoder for adding video to website
    If you are interested in it, here is a guide about how to put video on your web site?

You might want to check out JW Media Player

http://www.longtailvideo.com/players/jw-flv-player/

Also: SUPER © Simplified Universal Player Encoder & Renderer

Is a great way to easily convert video formats.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html

hi

nice post...

you can also check flvplayer.com ....I found it few weeks ago and it was loaded with features from the start. I even requested some extra functionality for future version and they released upgrades within few days.

Thread Information