dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Rocket Science or what??

Rocket Science or what??

What happened to just having fun creating sites that are strictly meant to be fun?? It seems that everyone is so bent on letting others know what's they did wrong with their site... people need to relax and give some credit to others for just being involved. I'll admit my designs are probably the worst you'll see on the web, but DAMN IT, I like doing what I do even if no one ever sees it or uses it. Webpage's to me are very much like art - I don't have any right telling someone they did something wrong on their site.. But I will give the person credit for trying - nice work!

There are different kinds of forums. Some are of the mutual admiration society type. Some are of the "What's wrong with me?" type. I would expect that the former exists out there but this is the other type. When you go to the doctor you don't want to hear "You look marvelous!". You want to be told what's wrong with you. If you don't want to hear that then don't go to the doctor.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

It's also important for people to point out problems with someones site so that everyone else gets the information.

We get a lot of messages from people asking for threads they have made to be deleted from public view after someone has handed them a solution to their problem. Presumably because they don't want their employer or anyone else to be able to see that they needed help. These people think about the threads they make about their problems from their point of view: "What happens if my boss sees that I don't actually know absolutely everything?" and "Now that I have my answer there is no need for the thread to exist".

From the point of view of the maintainers of this forum, however, the thread must not be deleted because it contains valuable information that may be useful to anyone that may read it. Your threads aren't really that much different. You may not like what is being said--although I'd imagine you dislike how it is being said just as much as what is being said--to you, but the information will probably be important and accurate. You may be far less concerned about the implications of how you build what you build than you are about making your "art", but the information and criticism people give you will be very useful to many other readers regardless of how you, personally, take it.
    I'm thuper, thanks for asking.

It lives! http://www.stephenphilbin.com/ (Well it kinda' does anyway).
    My portable colour selection tool

Thread Information