www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Ice cream Project

Post Ice cream Project

I intend for this thread to be a long one because I have many questions and will be looking for some help along the way. I also want this to be an example for future similar projects.

The project: Creating a website for a local Ice cream parlor. I want to make the site so that he can easily add content (via a WCMS - Web content management system). I want to avoid flash as it is not so easily adaptable and I think it is overkill for his desires.

First Goal. I will have a picture of his board with all his flavors (image below). When a user hovers(mouseover event?) above one of the flavors, below a picture of the flavor appears and beside that, a description.

(see attached images)

Now here is the interesting part.
    I want him to be able to change the description if ever he needs to. Ideally, that description would lie in a flavour_desc.XML document (or other) and some kind of function(mouseover?) would call the associated image into the image location and the associated text from the flavour_desc.xml (or other) document.

I don't know if this is possible but this is how I envision it.
    A 3 cell table (1st row spans 2 columns and 2nd row is for image and text)

A script would run on mouseover (or other function?) of Flavour#1 and would load flavour1.jpg into id="image_cell" and the description in id="desc_cell".

Application: When a new flavour is added, I change his board image and add the script for the corresponding flavour. I upload the new_flavour.jpg into a specific folder on the server and he adds the description to the XML document & presto!

I don't know if this could more easily be done in flash or another better or more practical way. Please share your solutions!
    Attached Images Attached Images

A simple solution would be to pull the info from a database, store the name and description there. also could store the image link.

Then for your main table where item #'s lie pull all them from the database into a giant list organised in a multitude of ways.

Then you can make sort of an admin back end page for him to be able to update, delete, or add new flavors by access and changing the database. Could be done with any server side language and database. Then for the rollover effects you can do it with javascript. (as far as im aware, dont use js that much.)

You could most likely also achieve something similiar by storing it into like a text file to achieve something very similar, tho i havent had much experience doing so but as far as im aware would save you from using a database, just using a server side language.
    Welsh

If you want a quality website, I highly suggest going through Amalgam (http://www.amalgamweb.com). They do quality websites for small businesses at a low cost. They did mine, and it's great!

Thread Information