www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Swf file shows white box..???

Question Swf file shows white box..???

Hi Guys,
    I hope you can help me out here.
    I loaded a page on the server and is not showing up the flash object. You can hover the screen and you know the object is there but is showing a white box.
    Locally in my computer I can see it.
    Anybody knows what is the problem?
    The test page is http://www.flyawaytrip.com/test.html
    Thank you very much

The problem appears to be the failure to correctly load the xml file. After I downloaded test.html and checked my Temp Internet Folder, only 3 files had downloaded, test, world_map.swf, and swfobject. Nothing displayed on the page, just as you mentioned.
    Downloading the .swf direct from
    http://www.flyawaytrip.com/world_map.swf
    also displays nothing on the page. Opening the .swf directly shows a multicolored map. So apparently the .swf needs the .xml file to load in order for the display to work properly. So I downloaded the world_map.xml (since it's called by swfobject) and put it in the same folder as the other 3 files and the map now displays just fine.
    The xml path appears to be correct, since I downloaded the xml file from the same folder as test and the .swf. So Iím not sure why it doesnít work from the link you posted. For me, your code for the page ďtestĒ worked fine after I downloaded all 4 files into the same folder. Page displays a single color, light blue, map with hotspots that display continent names, and allows you to drill down into the continent.
    For testing you may want to delete all files from you Temp Internet Folder, ensure that all the files are uploaded correctly and then try again.
    I really like the map by the way! Was that an original creation or from a template or something?
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Eye for Video,
    The file works fine in my computer, only doesn't show up when is in the server. The XML file lives in the same folder.
    So I still don't know what the problem might be.
    A friend of mine sent me the swf file and xml.
    Thank you

Well I must say that Iíve tried everything I can think of, but canít figure this one out. It works just fine on the local machine but not on the server.
    There was one small bit of coding error, but that was not the problem.
    Code:
    div id="flash"></div>
                </div>
    Thereís an extra </div> tag and the one to keep should be like this:
    Code:
    swfObject.write('flash');
        // ]]>
    </script>
    </div>
    I tested by removing all the params and variables to see if that was causing any problems, tried a different version of swfobject, just couldnít get it to work.
    One thing that really seems odd on the Web downloaded version is the cursor turns to a hand pointer at the edge of the <div>, not just over the top of the continents, as it does on the local machine. For testing purposes I created a couple versions. Delete all files from your Temp Internet Folder and then download this page:
    http://www.cidigitalmedia.com/tutori...how2/test.html
    I set the background color to blue, and commented out all the params and variables, just to test that this line of code was working. The blue background shows just only until the whole swf has downloaded, then everything turns white. You can also see very clearly that the cursor changes at the edge of the div, not over the continents.
    Code:
    var swfObject = new SWFObject('world_map.swf', 'kartta', '636', '309', '8', '#0000ff');
    There may be something else in the swf that prevents it from working on the server, I just donít think itís in the code as you posted it. Youíd need access to the .fla to find out. My suggestion is that you talk to your friend who created the swf and see if he has any suggestions, Iím stumped.
    If you do ever get this fixed, Iíd really appreciate learning how you did it.
    Best wishes,
    EfV

EFV,
    I was searching for flash map and I found this website. It looks like they are using the same map.
    Here it is www dot cosmerba dot com
    Maybe this could help us to figure this one out.
    Thanks
    Last edited by elyfrank; 08-17-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Well it looks like the other map is correctly downloading the xml file while your is not. Attached are two photos of the Temp Internet folder and the files that are downloaded for each map.
    Below is some differences in code. You may want to test using this method. First is a different Doc Type,
    Code:
    !DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    second is using <object> and <embed> instead of swfobject.
    Code:
    <object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,0,0" width="700" height="700" id="world_usa_map" align="middle">
    <param name="allowScriptAccess" value="sameDomain" />
    <param name="movie" value="world_usa_map.swf" />
    <PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="xmlfile1=world_map.xml&show_map=0">
    <param name="quality" value="high" />
    <param name="bgcolor" value="#ffffff" />
    <embed src="world_usa_map.swf?xmlfile1=world_map.xml&show_map=0" quality="high" bgcolor="#ffffff" width="700" height="700" name="world_usa_map" align="middle" allowScriptAccess="sameDomain" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" />
    </object>
    I'm still thinking that it could be a problem in the swf in the line of code that loads the xml file. Without see the Actionscript, I just don't know.
    Anyway, good luck on this.
    EfV
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information