www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE not responding to onclick event.

IE not responding to onclick event.

Ive got a page that has several dynmically created links and each on has an onclick event to open a modal popup with further details on that item.

The problem I have is that it works perfectly in FF but not in IE (I'm using v7). There are no javascript errors, it just does not respond to the click event.

I can see that it creates the onclick in event for each item in the source, is there anything special I have to do to make this work in IE?

Here is a part of the rendered code:

HTML Code:
    <table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="4" border="0" id="gvNewsItems" style="color:#333333;border-collapse:collapse;">

<tr align="left" style="color:White;background-color:#990000;font-size:Small;font-weight:bold;">
    			<th scope="col"> </th><th scope="col"><a href="javascript:__doPostBack('gvNewsItems','Sort$postdate')" style="color:White;">Date</a></th><th align="left" scope="col"><a href="javascript:__doPostBack('gvNewsItems','Sort$Subject')" style="color:White;">Subject</a></th>
    		</tr><tr style="color:#333333;background-color:#FFFBD6;font-size:Small;">
    			<td>
                                    <a id="gvNewsItems_ctl02_HyperLink1" onclick="ShowModalPopup('1629'); animate('divPreview');" style="color:Blue;text-decoration:underline;">Preview</a>
                                </td><td>07/28/2009          </td><td style="width:350px;">Test 1</td>

</tr><tr style="color:#333333;background-color:White;font-size:Small;">
    			<td>
                                    <a id="gvNewsItems_ctl03_HyperLink1" onclick="ShowModalPopup('1628'); animate('divPreview');" style="color:Blue;text-decoration:underline;">Preview</a>
                                </td><td>07/28/2009          </td><td style="width:350px;">Test 3</td>
    			<td>
                                    <a id="gvNewsItems_ctl04_HyperLink1" onclick="ShowModalPopup('1600'); animate('divPreview');" style="color:Blue;text-decoration:underline;">Preview</a>

</td><td>06/30/2009          </td><td style="width:350px;">Test 4</td>
    		</tr><tr style="color:#333333;background-color:White;font-size:Small;">
    			<td>
                                    <a id="gvNewsItems_ctl05_HyperLink1" onclick="ShowModalPopup('1599'); animate('divPreview');" style="color:Blue;text-decoration:underline;">Preview</a>
                                </td><td>06/24/2009          </td><td style="width:350px;">Test 5</td>

<td>
                                    <a id="gvNewsItems_ctl06_HyperLink1" onclick="ShowModalPopup('1598'); animate('divPreview');" style="color:Blue;text-decoration:underline;">Preview</a>
                                </td><td>06/22/2009          </td><td style="width:350px;">Test 6</td>
    		</tr>
    	</table>

can we see the javascript code?

The links probably need href="#" and the onclick handler should end with return false.
    Y_U U_G_A_E_U_ B_S_A_D_

each link gets the onclick event added in the RowDataBound event:
    Code:
                    HyperLink HyperLink1 = (HyperLink)e.Row.FindControl("HyperLink1");
                    HyperLink1.Attributes.Add("onclick", "ShowModalPopup('" + gvNewsItems.DataKeys[e.Row.RowIndex].Value + "'); animate('divPreview');");
    and this is the javascript code:
    Code:
    <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
            function ShowModalPopup(id) {

var modal = $find('mpePopup');
                modal.show();
                SubmitNews2009.getNewsItem.FetchPublishedNews(id, DisplayResult);
            }

function DisplayResult(result) {
                var doc;
                if (window.ActiveXObject) {
                    doc = new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLDOM");
                    doc.async = "false";
                    doc.loadXML(result);
                }
                else {
                    var parser = new DOMParser();
                    var doc = parser.parseFromString(result, "text/xml");
                }

var root = doc.documentElement.childNodes;
                var tags;

for (var i = 0; i < root.length; i++) {
                    if (root[i].nodeType == 1) {
                        tags = root[i].childNodes;
                    }
                }

for (var i = 0; i < tags.length; i++) {
                    if (tags[i].nodeType == 1) {
                        var xmlvalue = tags[i].childNodes[0].nodeValue;

switch (tags[i].nodeName) {
    //                        case "ID":
    //                            var label = document.getElementById('lblID');
    //                            label.innerHTML = xmlvalue;
    //                            document.getElementById('hidID').innerHTML = xmlvalue;
    //                            break;
                            case "name":
                                document.getElementById('lblName').innerHTML = xmlvalue;
                                break;
                            case "email":
                                var email = document.getElementById('divEmail');
                                email.innerHTML = "Email: <a href=" + "mailto:" + xmlvalue + ">" + xmlvalue + "</a>";
                                break;
                            case "subject":
                                document.getElementById('mpeTitle').innerHTML = "Plaza News - " + xmlvalue;
                                break;
                            case "message":
                                document.getElementById('divContent').innerHTML = xmlvalue;
                                break;
                        }
                    }
                }
            }

I noticed your passing your numbers in as strings instead of integers eg onclick="ShowModalPopup('1629'); and I have had numerous errors with doing something like this. Take out the ' from around the 1629 and see if IE7 likes it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sterling Isfine View Post
    The links probably need href="#" and the onclick handler should end with return false.
    adding return false made no difference.
    adding the href broke it in FF.

did you try removing the single quotes?

Quote Originally Posted by natepizzle View Post
    I noticed your passing your numbers in as strings instead of integers eg onclick="ShowModalPopup('1629'); and I have had numerous errors with doing something like this. Take out the ' from around the 1629 and see if IE7 likes it better.
    nope, no difference

Quote Originally Posted by natepizzle View Post
    did you try removing the single quotes?
    yes, single quotes are gone. still works in FF but not IE

Can you give me the link to your page? Im gonna check it out in ie7 and ie8. No one has answered my post yet so i have some spare time...lol

sorry nate, this is an intranet app.

Ok. The onclick has been supported in ie since v3 for the a tag. I suggest removing each of the functions in the onclick one at a time and seeing if you can narrow down the problem to a single function. If that works then you could put the animate function inside the ShowModalPopup function at the end. If not then try changing onclick="ShowModalPopup('1599'); animate('divPreview');" to href="javascript:ShowModalPopup('1599'); animate('divPreview');" and see what you get. Let me know your results.

I just tried the code you supplied in ie7 and the onclick is working fine altho I do not have the full code to test further so I'm betting something in your javascript is causing it to muck up somewhere.

var modal = $find(

Also are you sure the $ should be there?

should i use getElement ById instead of $find?

Thread Information