www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Great Debate: PC or MAC? Who has what and why?

Mac, Pc, Linux

I was a complete pc fanboy for the longest time. I had XP and I would not accept that anything else could be worthwhile. Then a Linux user challenged me to try Ubuntu (back in 2006). I did "knowing" that XP would come up tops. Not the case, back then ubuntu could already do all what my beloved XP could and some things better. Since then I have also come to love the Mac OS. All this only happened once I had managed to get a Mac, PC, and Linux system going.

I find now that I use the Mac for most of my work and play, then the Linux, and only occassionally the PC (still XP, although I have Vista I ignore it). That is listed by my general ease of use and fun.

Having all three made me less bias.

From a development/administrative perspective, I wouldn't bother using a MAC simple because server OS's are going to be windows or linux/unix based. Should you ever be asked to take a more administrative role (administration of a web container and that system) knowing how to do things on a MAC is pointless as MAC is not in the server OS market. In my opinion it's much better for you to learn something that can be applied elsewhere, not just for the task at hand.

Between windows and linux, I would take linux any day of the week. Windows is very easy to learn, while people tend to struggle with command line linux installations.
    It's truly shameful that I have to tell people that they are asking .NET questions in a classic ASP board. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Kuriyama View Post
    From a development/administrative perspective, I wouldn't bother using a MAC simple because server OS's are going to be windows or linux/unix based. Should you ever be asked to take a more administrative role (administration of a web container and that system) knowing how to do things on a MAC is pointless as MAC is not in the server OS market. In my opinion it's much better for you to learn something that can be applied elsewhere, not just for the task at hand.

Between windows and linux, I would take linux any day of the week. Windows is very easy to learn, while people tend to struggle with command line linux installations.
    OS X is built on BSD. So, pretty much all of your *nix commands are there. And, you get a degree of stability that a lot of your *nixes can't even offer. And the list of *nix commands available on my ibook is quite comprehensive. Whereas I often find myself having to install package after package on other boxes just to build a decent working and/or serving environment.

You should give those Mac's another try--they're really much more geek-friendly than you're giving them credit for.
    Last edited by svidgen; 08-24-2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: missed a word ...
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

What really irks me is when people refer to Windows as "PC". Owning a PC doesn't automatically mean you have Windows. You could have Linux (so many different flavors) and even OSX (if you're the hacking kind) or any other OS that a PC could run. But, I guess when the Windows people themselves on their own commercials advertise "I'm a PC" that doesn't really help the situation.

I have PC's and do so because they are easily maintained. Anything goes wrong with a Mac system and its back to the shop for repair and you get charged for it. Having looked at the price of Mac stuff, no way jose, its not an option and the amount of software that I have seen for Mac systems is very limited compared to PC based windows systems.

PC is more flexible with the ability to support a number of operating systems as well as access to upgrades that are easily installed and repairs too are easy. Mac tends to be a closed shop affair, you have to take the hardware in and they fit it for you after relieving you of 5 times the price of the PC version.

If I was to sum it up in a few words, For the cost of a semi decent Mac you can have 3 PC systems if you know where to shop!

Anything goes wrong with a Mac system and its back to the shop for repair and you get charged for it.
    Well that's just not true at all ...

PC is more flexible with the ability to support a number of operating systems ...
    Yeah, same for Mac's. This is particularly true since they made the switch to Intel cores. And in fact, Apple has its own special software for dual-booting.

For the cost of a semi decent Mac you can have 3 PC systems if you know where to shop!
    Macs are definitely expensive. But, if you consider what you get for your money, it's well worth it. IE, you get an computer with a restricted set of high quality hardware, which means your computer is going to freeze and crash significantly less on average than your average PC.

Basically, all Apple has done is taking things from the server-world and applied those things to home computing. That is, they rolled out a stable OS based on BSD that supports a limited set of hardware, with the intent on suppressing dead-locks and other driver issues (most OS issues are actually driver issues).

When I have the money, I'm getting another Mac. And when I find some parts in someone's trash, I'll have myself another PC

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying PCs are bad. I just want to be clear that ignorance of something (like Macs) will not stand as a justification for a claim that they are lesser!
    Last edited by svidgen; 08-25-2009 at 08:48 AM.
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

So long as the machine you have serves your needs and you're happy with the price you paid for it, then I don't really see how there's much to consider.

The only thing I would bother about is effecting other people's computers. For example not properly maintaining your computer's security so that it gets infected and becomes part of a bot net that can be used to attack other people's machines, or using highly proprietary software that would force someone that's perfectly happy with their system to have to go and switch to the same software just to enable them to use files provided to them.

That sort of stuff I disapprove of, but when it doesn't have any (negative) effect on other people, why care? Even more to the point, why berate someone for their choice of system if it has no effect at all on you or your system!

On that note, I prefer that all of you continue to use PCs. It keeps the script-kiddies and virus authors disinterested in my development systems
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

Of couse PC.I've not thought of changing it, as I'm really sattisfied with it

Quote Originally Posted by svidgen View Post
    Well that's just not true at all ...

Yeah, same for Mac's. This is particularly true since they made the switch to Intel cores. And in fact, Apple has its own special software for dual-booting.

Macs are definitely expensive. But, if you consider what you get for your money, it's well worth it. IE, you get an computer with a restricted set of high quality hardware, which means your computer is going to freeze and crash significantly less on average than your average PC.

Basically, all Apple has done is taking things from the server-world and applied those things to home computing. That is, they rolled out a stable OS based on BSD that supports a limited set of hardware, with the intent on suppressing dead-locks and other driver issues (most OS issues are actually driver issues).

When I have the money, I'm getting another Mac. And when I find some parts in someone's trash, I'll have myself another PC

EDIT: Just to clarify, I'm not saying PCs are bad. I just want to be clear that ignorance of something (like Macs) will not stand as a justification for a claim that they are lesser!
    When I was working for TNT for the Apple Mac contract, I used to deliver approx 40 to 60 Mac systems a day to the repairs centre near Birmingham euro hub.

When I asked one of the engineers one day why so many machines were delivered on a daily basis and were they all broken, he replide most are coming in for upgrades. When I asked him why they jist don't do it on-site, the reply was they can't and when I asked why, he smiled and said, that business.

As for asking the sales guys in the mac shop in town, I aske how easy it is to upgrade these machines and the words out their mouts were you have to bring the machine in.

So I am not ignorant if I base my judgement on a shop and a repair centre techs comments on the Apple product are that these items are RTB or shop for upgrades.

I work for a foundation that operates in a mixed environment (about 50/50, Mac/PC actually). Every time a PC brakes, it's into the shop for a the repair. Is it because we don't know how??? Hell no, there are at least 4 of us here that are well-versed in PC repair. But, we're not paid to make those repairs, and if we did, we'd be voiding warranties. That's just how business works ...

... speaking of those repairs, we haven't needed a single Mac repaired since I've been here. Lot of PC repairs tho ...

In any case, if you're not a business, there's no reason you need to bring your Mac in for a repair, unless you have applecare--and then you'll want to bring it in. I mean hell--You've got insurance, and you can't cash in on it unless you bring the damn thing in!

And if you'd just open up a damn Mac once, you'd see it's exactly the same as a PC. So yeah, it's pretty ignorant to base such strong opinions on off-the-cuff remarks from disgruntled techs ...
    Last edited by svidgen; 08-26-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: stupid english ...
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

Quote Originally Posted by multimediocrity View Post

PC:
    Pros - Familiarity, ease of use, good performance, price, robustness, and popularity
    Cons - Viruses and instability

MACs:
    Pros - Robustness (physically and software-wise)
    Cons - Harder to use (I think), more difficult to control, EXPENSIVE
    Macs may be more expensive but why is that? Because they are made with good quality components which won't fizzle out in a year or so. I've had my Mac for years and it runs as sweet as it always has. Never had a virus, never had data loss, everything's built in and, hell, it's even a PC thanks to the Intel chip.

Macs have everything you need built in. Don't need to keep replacing graphics cards, updating drivers every week, no anti-virus software needed that takes over your system, and very very rarely system crashes. In fact, I can't even recall the last time my Mac crashed....

And as for Macs being "harder to use" - the reason you say that is because you've been subdued to PCs for far too long and you don't actually know how to use a Mac. If you don't know how to turn a Mac on, try the On button - that usually works for me.

... try the On button - that usually works for me.
    Witchcraft!
    Jon Wire

Use CODE tags!

Something to pass the time...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    Something to pass the time...
    *Cough*
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

Thread Information