www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66

Thread: The Great Debate: PC or MAC? Who has what and why?

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,120
    Quote Originally Posted by scragar View Post
    lulz
    Jon Wire

    thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

    I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

    Use CODE tags!

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Idaho, USA
    Posts
    209
    Quote Originally Posted by memerson View Post
    Macs may be more expensive but why is that? Because they are made with good quality components which won't fizzle out in a year or so. I've had my Mac for years and it runs as sweet as it always has. Never had a virus, never had data loss, everything's built in ...
    Sounds just like my PC ... the one I've been on for over 5 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by memerson View Post
    Macs have everything you need built in. Don't need to keep replacing graphics cards, updating drivers every week, no anti-virus software needed that takes over your system, and very very rarely system crashes. In fact, I can't even recall the last time my Mac crashed....
    Sounds just like my PC ... the one I've been on for over 5 years. My anti-virus has never taken over because I use one that works effectively. And I've experienced exactly zero crashes in 5 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by memerson View Post
    And as for Macs being "harder to use" - the reason you say that is because you've been subdued to PCs for far too long and you don't actually know how to use a Mac. If you don't know how to turn a Mac on, try the On button - that usually works for me.
    Interesting concept ... the exact converse of which might be equally true.
    The Old Sarge

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,120
    Let me reiterate and say that IF you say system X (Mac/PC/*nix) is globally lesser or better THEN you are acting moronic. I use both (all three/four/five/etc. if you distinguish between Windows and the *nixes), and I find both/all to be easy and efficient to use for their own special tasks.

    So, ya'll are just being dumb if you've globally chosen one system over the other for reason X. The only justifiable statements would be something like, "System X seems to be better than system Y for doing Z because of R."

    For example: OS X is better than Windows for general development because it's BSD-based and comes with the standard development tools, as well as some very helpful nonstandard tools, whereas Windows does not come standard with development tools (unless you count notepad).

    Another example: Windows is better than OS X for word processing because the industry standard word processor is designed for Windows and hacked to work on OS X.

    So, ya'll stop bickering about how awful system X or Y is ... they're all awful in some respects. But, to generalize and say that one is globally good or bad is generally just plain ignorant.

    And for the record, before Windows XP and OS X, neither Windows NOR Mac OS did all of the things an OS "technically" needs to be able to do (true multitasking / memory management stuff).
    Jon Wire

    thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

    I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

    Use CODE tags!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Posts
    2,165
    Quote Originally Posted by memerson View Post
    In fact, I can't even recall the last time my Mac crashed...
    i've watched my students crash macs at least a dozen times and i've only been teaching for a year now.

    i own a pc and my school gave me a macbook; otherwise i'd be quite pleased with my pc alone.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    1,063
    PC all the way for me. The first (and only) time I've used a Mac was at the hospital; they had just installed brand new iMacs in the Teen Room. It was horrible; I admit that part of it was due to the fact that I wasn't familiar with a Mac, but the other part was it wasn't doing what it was supposed to half the time when I WAS working it right. People say they are great for graphics, but I don't believe it; at the college I go to, their Graphic Design lab only uses Macs, but the primary software they teach is Adobe Photoshop. You can get that for the PC. One guy told me that Photoshop runs better on a Mac, and to that I say how so? You tell Photoshop what to do and it does it. My older brother, who works in the IT department at the college, used to work in the same room as the webmaster of the college website. The PR department (who uses Macs exclusively) sent her an image to put on the website, and because they made it with a Mac, it came out all distorted on the PC. You can make the argument that Macs do graphics better, but if 95% of the world is using a PC, the fact that it looks great on a Mac but terrible on a PC is not going to help you. Though this probably isn't always the case, but it would annoy me if I was being paid to run a website for someone.

    In the end, it doesn't really matter to me. I know I'll probably never get one, because I like Windows, but as long as I don't have to use one, I don't care that much. One thing does bother me, however: on all the Mac commercials, they make fun of how much Microsoft spends on advertising. But, when watching television or movies, have you ever noticed how many computer labs are full of computers with that big, tacky apple stamped on the casing? Apple has no room to call ANYONE out on advertising. I get past their subtle attempts

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    364
    I don't think Macs had a good interface until 2004. (Seriously, I didn't even know how to close a program. I asked for help and nobody knew the answer.) They're ok now, but still I'd choose a PC every time because they're at least half the price and typically better quality.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    364
    Oh, funny story. I walked into a lab once and had to turn on a Mac. It took me about 5 minutes (and asking two people) to find the "on" button, which was apparently on the side of the monitor toward the back.

    The PC on button is in your face. I like that.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Longmont CO
    Posts
    47
    I've been around computers for a bit. Personally they all have their uses. From the ones I own at home:

    Mac Powerbook G4 with OSX Panther. Bought in 2004, it just works. I've had Safari bail a few times over the years and lost a hard disk once (replacing it forced me to upgrade OSX to support the disk). Right now it's also running an apache server with mysql and php.

    Home built Intel with Windows XP. Been using Intel PCs since 1984 or so with the IBM PC and DOS 1.0. This is my gaming box so it has leading edge graphics (I stay away from the bleeding edge). As such, the drivers and support software sometimes causes me to pull my hair out. I have a pair of ATI 4870's (one 512M, new one 1G) in Crossfire mode but I can't start the Control Center because of some rogue ATI entry in the Windows Registry. I need to spend some time hunting it down to kill it. And I also use it for some personal development work, programming Javascript and php with css. It's running three monitors which work great for programming

    Home built Intel with Mandrake 9.2. Main firewall to the 'net. It stops external attack cold (doesn't allow externally initiated connections). Been running for years without many problems. Power Supply was acting up two or three years ago so I replaced it before it bailed.

    Home built Intel with OpenBSD 4.0. Web server backup. Holds all the files from my colocated web site as a backup. Updates and retrieves files from the external server nightly.

    Gateway Intel with Windows 98SE. Mainly for older games and specifically Carmageddon

    AMD 64 with OpenBSD 4.0. This is the colocated server that holds my domains and site stuff. Forums, personal web sites, blogs, etc. Only goes down due to hardware problems (have a disk going bad right now).

    Dell Laptop with Vista. Wife's laptop. Web browsing and paint shop pro stuff for her Mosaics hobby.

    Our iPhones. They run OS X Mobile so we both have Unix boxes in our pockets. I'm finding the wife is using the iPhone more when she needs to look something up on the 'net real quick where she'd have the laptop up and browsing before.


    The Windows box is my main desktop. With three monitors, I can read pdfs, program, and preview my work without having to flip around. The Mac holds my gaming wikis. I ssh over to it from Cygwin on the windows box to update scripts and muck with the local site. I bring it to my gaming sessions.

    The funny thing about the commercial isn't the cheapness of the laptop (which it certainly is) but the requirements. "Yea, I want a laptop that I can game with". Yea, that leaves the Mac right out. No reason to even open the lid or look at the price. End of commercial.

    My wife's on her third laptop and I got the Powerbook about the same time she got her first laptop. It was a lot cheaper than the Powerbook but I still have the Powerbook and it still runs perfectly. And we've probably paid about the same between her three and my Powerbook.

    Carl

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    786
    Linux....
    physical architecture is pretty much the same between th PC and Mac these days.... Linux runs on both. Both Windows and Mac OS flavor of the month and additional software are overpriced to start with and I prefer the freedom to tweak my system as I see fit, so OpenSource is the right choice for me.

    Many of my clients are dumping windows from their offices in favor of Linux this year. Costs and poorly translated software are the main reasons. There is some variation in the distro of choice, but 123 are Kubuntu, OpenSUSE, Lenny.
    Freedom of choice is a good thing.
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

  10. #40
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    364
    I like PCs because I was a software user. I play games, run standard programs like Word, advanced programs like Maya and Photoshop, and often use non-standard periphery such as a tablet. It seems like PCs can pretty much handle any software out there. Linux, Unix, and Macs all need special versions or cannot run certain programs. Since I want to be able to use everything, I'm a PC guy.

    Though I'm a computer guy, I like a good GUI, so it's PC all the way.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    786
    I guess I must be special or something! I haven't found anything that I needed or wanted that wouldn't run on a Linux Distro or hardware that couldn't run a Linux Distro.... maybe I'm just lucky.
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    here
    Posts
    4,551
    Quote Originally Posted by opifex View Post
    I guess I must be special or something! I haven't found anything that I needed or wanted that wouldn't run on a Linux Distro or hardware that couldn't run a Linux Distro.... maybe I'm just lucky.
    Other than a select few applications I've pretty much had exactly the same experience.
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    2,120
    Since I want to be able to use everything, I'm a PC guy.
    ... if by everything you mean Windows software and by PC you mean Windows (particularly the version that is compatible with your "Windows" software).
    Jon Wire

    thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

    I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

    Use CODE tags!

  14. #44
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    364
    It seems like most software is designed with the PC in mind.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    786
    ... the times they are a changin'!

    Try running your favorite M$ stuff and Windows software on a "subnotebook" and see how friendly it is. Notice I didn't say "netbook" because I still own a Psion 7 Netbook... and yes, it runs on Linux and I can use a wide array of 'nix software even with the inherent memory limitations of the Netbook.
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
HTML5 Development Center



Recent Articles