www.webdeveloper.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Great Debate: PC or MAC? Who has what and why?

It seems like many MAC enthusiasts are beginning to switch to PC. Let's see what Windows 7 does for the PC. This might give it an advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by multimediocrity View Post
    It seems like many MAC enthusiasts are beginning to switch to PC. Let's see what Windows 7 does for the PC. This might give it an advantage.
    Given the minimum requirements I doubt it will do much, 2GB minimum RAM, 16GB of hard drive space, 256MB Graphics card?
    I know it's an improvement over vista, but when XP installs on much lower requirements, and linux on even lower requirements(and often look a lot better), I can't imagine any good reason for Win7 to recover MSs market share, people didn't like vista because it was bloated, and win7 isn't much of an improvement(Although it is faster than Vista and XP in parts for the most part it's still bloated by comparison).
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

The MacSnobs that I know that have changed to something else have all gone Linux or FreeBSD. Their complaints were inflated software costs with declining customer support and what they saw as a general decline in quality of recent Mac hardware. Some are still running their old Mac hardware... but Tux-ified.

It's an easy transition from OSX to 'nix.
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

What can Windows 7 possibly do to justify that many requirements? Don't get me wrong; I will forever adore Microsoft and forever look down upon the Apple Corporation (and as to Linux, never tried it). But even though I'm now using Vista Home Premium 64-Bit, I was satisfied with what XP did when I had my old computer. The hard drive doesn't bother me that much; ever since I've owned my own computers, no matter what size hard drive I've had, I've always had over 50% of free space left. But you can't fit as many GBs of RAM into a computer as you can GBs of a hard drive. 2 GBs seems kind of harsh.

@Witchard
    why not do yourself a favor and do a "dual boot side by side install" of one of the Linux distros.... you just might be pleasantly surprised by the results.
    yes... most distros do have 64-bit support.

I am interested in upgrading my XP Pro box to Vista SP2... I mean Windows 7 Part of the problem as always is drivers. Even though XP is still perfectly fine, the hardware folks seem to follow the OS versions. For bog standard web browsing and such, most people can probably stick with XP for some time. But when you're pushing the limits a bit for gaming as I do, having current supported drivers is pretty important.

Following up on my original post, I had to chase down a registry cleaner and a driver cleaner, drop my XP box to single user mode (I mean Safe Mode ) and totally eradicate all references to ATI. Once that was done, I installed the drivers for the new card. I've had a couple of instances where the system boots over and over during Windows startup but a cold shutdown cleared it.

Funny that the hardware manufacturer can't remove all references to their own drivers. It's almost as bad as one of those spyware packages.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by opifex View Post
    @Witchard
    why not do yourself a favor and do a "dual boot side by side install" of one of the Linux distros.... you just might be pleasantly surprised by the results.
    yes... most distros do have 64-bit support.
    Because I'm not the type of person you want to install a second OS on a computer. My brother is a computer technician, and we have a good relationship; he fixes my computer and only bills me for parts (if they're needed). I don't want to mess that kind of understanding up. He's easily angered

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Witchard View Post
    Because I'm not the type of person you want to install a second OS on a computer.
    Maybe you should mention it to your brother then.... he might be interested!

I'll stick with one OS. If you have Windows, it's all you need.

Well, it's all you need anyway

Carl

I used UNIX before Micro$oft was hatched.... it was a bad egg from the beginning.
    But then I don't wear Nike$, don't have a $ony and don't drink Ne$cafe either.

i use PC and m quite happy with it.

It is the price. If you are faced with the choice of paying 1,300 for a mac amd all you get is all you can see and you wander in to somewhere like PC world and see a PC system that comes with printer and scanner and other gadgets for 799.

What you going to dole your money out on?

Simply put, its a no brainer.

My hubby and I are needing some advice on this subject. Our kids(age 17 and 14) are wanting a mac for Christmas. We really know very little about them--have always had pcs. I think the thing that got them interested a few years ago(yes, they have been wanting one for several years!) was going into an apple store to look at ipods and playing with garage band on the mac computers. They are both musical, play guitar and piano, and both write music. The prices seem so high--we could buy them both a pc laptop for what one macbook pro costs!
    So, does anyone have advice? Arguments for and against Mac?
    Info on any pc software that is comparible to garage band or logic??
    THANKS in advance!!

Go PC.

As for software....

Cubase
    Reason
    Rebirth
    Cakewalk
    Sony Acid Pro

The list goes on. As for price, depends on where you buy from... You can pick up most of that software relatively cheap if you shop around.

I would pay a few music shops a visit and see what they can offer in the way of advice and any hardware that they can demonstrate.

Thread Information