www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk browsers: Why do you use the ones you do?

Let's talk browsers: Why do you use the ones you do?

So here's another interesting debate: which browser is best? Which one do you use?

Usually the most opinionated seem to be the ones who use Firefox. If a Firefox user sees someone using anything BUT Firefox, they will complain. They walk into a library, see it has IE, so they'll download Firefox.

I like either IE or Firefox. I usually settle in to one so it saves all my sessions and cookies.

I'm not sure why people use other browsers, like Safari, Opera, or Netscape. Google Chrome is apparently a good choice, as this is growing in popularity.

My question for you is this: Which one do you use?
    Does it vary depending on the platform? Do you like an older version better than a newer? Do you use a strange browser, and if so, why?

Let's talk!

Links
    Debate over, I win

Nah, I use a range of browsers, firefox is my main browser, but I'm not adverse to using kazekage, amaya, opera or safari(in wine, they need to make a linux release already).
    I use all of them for different things, although firefox is by far my favourite graphical browser.
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...
    The same applies to HTML and the forums [HTML][/HTML] tags.

Why use links? Why would people want text and tables over graphics? Graphics are half the reason I use the web.

I know some people who turn their graphics off in Firefox and such. I think it's crazy.

I love the simplicity of the command line, and it's nice to be able to read forums etc without being bogged down with huge sigs, blinking banners and avatars, I do like images, but I also prefer simple, small pages, and honestly there are some sites out there that're so many times better viewed on a command line than in all their pink texted, green background, yellow links with flashing images everywhere glory. (Oh, yeah, and no javascript+flash+java+crashing browsers/Ram consuming techniques, yeah, I've seen those pieces of javascript and flash some people use. Not nice at all.)
    If you are using PHP please use the [PHP] and [/PHP] forum tags for highlighting...

True. Some are better. However, I seldom find the poorly-designed websites helpful. But yes, I can see how this can be a plus. Sometimes I copy the text and paste it in word or notepad in order to read it.

I've been using Opera about 99% of the time for about 4 weeks now because Firefox is full of tabs my girlfriend wants to keep open for looking at curtains and bedding etc.

I'm not really bothered which browser I use as long as it's not Internet Explorer.

I've warmed up to Chrome. It's faster, simpler and cleaner than even Firefox.

Chrome and Safari actually seem very similar. Which isn't surprising since they both use WebKit.
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

Did they make a version of Chrome ready to go on Linux yet?

What made you decide to try a certain browser?

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Philbin View Post
    Did they make a version of Chrome ready to go on Linux yet?
    It's in dev form, but only for debian distributions right now because they're sending out prebuilt systems packaged in .deb's for some reason (rather than, say, source so everyone could build it themselves and help out easier)

Quote Originally Posted by scragar View Post
    ...rather than, say, source so everyone could build it themselves and help out easier
    Actually, they did exactly that.

http://code.google.com/chromium/

I think some people have already used the source code to build a Linux version. Might have to google around for it.

Yup. A little googling and I found this. http://www.codeweavers.com/services/ports/chromium/

(I'm not vouching for it; it's just the first one I found.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mott View Post
    Actually, they did exactly that.

http://code.google.com/chromium/

I think some people have already used the source code to build a Linux version. Might have to google around for it.
    Doh, I was going to http://code.google.com/chrome apparently that link doesn't work(That's what you get for trying to guess the URL that it should be on, rather than googling it).

I use Firefox because:
    • It's the first browser I spent much time with after getting away from IE, so I'm used to it.
    • AdBlock add-on
    • FlashBlock add-on
    • WebDeveloper add-on
    • FireBug add-on
    • FirePHP add-on

But whatever floats your boat is fine with me, as long as you only use IE for compatibility testing.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

I use chrome for my everyday web browsing because its fast and simple, and then use firefox for its plugins (FireBug and the Web Developer toolbar are a must!) when i'm working on web pages or going to use StumbleUpon.

However, from time to time i'll open opera for a little variety, but I don't think I'll ever use it (or IE, for that matter) as my main browser. To me, they're both in the middle ground between a "light" browser that displays just displays web pages without getting in the way (Chrome) and a "heavy-duty" browser like FF (especially with my 30+ extensions ).

Thread Information