www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Let's talk browsers: Why do you use the ones you do?

I use firefox for my everyday web browsing because its fast and simple, and I can block images from advertisers. Then I use IE for its Flash plugin and other media players.

Yeah. I was aware of the possibility of compiling it from source, but I was wondering if they'd got round to making a proper finished product, ready for general-purpose use by the general (Linux-using) public.

Quote Originally Posted by multimediocrity View Post
    What made you decide to try a certain browser?
    It wasn't Internet Explorer.

When I'm doing my web tinkerings, I tend to lean more towards Firefox because then the developer tools are there to hand, but for regular browsing I couldn't give a flying fudgecake what I'm using as long as it's fit for purpose.

Firefox apps are great! I especially like the ones we use for web development. They are such time savers. This is a great reason to use Firefox, but most apps seem to appeal to the more hardcore users.

I like IE. However, since I started using Firefox more, I've come to like it. I guess this happened when Firefox started using tabs and IE did not have them yet. I like tabs.

I use IE. It's what I started with, it's what I feel con=mfortable with, and it's what I do best with.

I have and use Opera, Firefox and Safari ... but not to any major extent.

Does IE have problems? Sure. Which browser doesn't have a few shortcomings? No one browser can be all things to all people.
    The Old Sarge

I still use Internet Explorer 6 as my main browser, simply because it is the most troublesome when it comes to web development. FireFox and Chrome come a close second, as each of them come with their own unique problems but usually not as bad as IE.

Some of the newer browsers are set to just accept programmatic faults and in my opinion this is not right. It is completely possible to do 99% of what you want on the web and keep all browsers at peace with a little practice. But for now I am happy to promote IE6.

I can just feel the rain of fire coming...

I use IE for day to day use. It just feels faster and smoother to me, and has been fine security wise since after IE6.

However, like many I do use Firefox for its plugins, and also surprisingly for multimedia use. For some reason on sites like Hulu, IE displays choppy video, especially full screen, yet Firefox does it fine. I've experienced this on multiple computers.

I've warmed up to Chrome. It's faster, simpler and cleaner than even Firefox.
    I believe the most recent release(s) of FF are actually faster than Chrome now (per my own personal benchmarks). And, while I like Chrome a lot, it has caused me a lot of problems debugging applications--it actually resubmits page requests when you view source. So, under some circumstances (one-time actions and certain types of protected pages) Chrome displays incorrect source code.
    Jon Wire

thepointless.com | rounded corner generator

I agree with Apple. Flash is just terrible.

Use CODE tags!

That's Firefox for me.That's an ideal one I guess.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Philbin View Post
    I've been using Opera about 99% of the time for about 4 weeks now because Firefox is full of tabs my girlfriend wants to keep open for looking at curtains and bedding etc.

I'm not really bothered which browser I use as long as it's not Internet Explorer.
    i've been using opera since version 6 and i love it. version 10 just came out!
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Yeah, I've been using Opera since version 6, too. But I only used it about 10-20% of the time. Using it almost all the time lately, though.

IE is, without a doubt, my first choice, Opera a close second, then anything that isn't Firefox.

I tend to use opera due to its developer tools which i find extremely helpful but i have started to play around with firefox and its firebug

then can both come in handy when helping people on these kind of forums

Cool! This is interesting. What don't you like about browsers?

I used NCSA Mosaic when it first came out. Then Netscape. Since I used a Sun workstation to browse the 'net at the time, Internet Explorer wasn't an option until IE 5.5 I believe. Microsoft created a Windows layer that could be installed on a Sun box which then let you install IE. The extra layer really added some bloat to the system and it never really worked well. I also tried Opera on the Sun box which also didn't work very well (the graphics and layout was always pretty mucked up).

With the security issues that popped up surrounding IE 6, I pretty much stayed with Mozilla or Opera on my Windows systems. I also have a few Linux systems kicking around including on my work Ubuntu workstation (laptop is WinXP Pro). Since I'm comfortable with Firefox, I pretty much stuck with it and avoid IE.

I use Firefox on my Mac as well even though it does make the laptop run a bit hotter. Mainly because of AdblockerPro and Flashblock. I don't have many other plugins installed on the Firefox installations.

Mainly though, from looking at my list, Firefox works on all of the platforms I use. Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, and Solaris. IE doesn't and it's a pain to do things one way on one box and differently on another.

Carl

And my winner is....

Firefox most of the time, followed by Google Chromium / Chrome and Opera. Konqueror, Seamokey and Amaya still get a bit of use on occasion also.
    IE8 is installed on a test machine with windows... along with IE-Tester so I can give myself headaches from rendering differences.

Primary OS is Linux... distro varies by machine and temperament.
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

Thread Information