www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Why won't my form post?

Why won't my form post?

This form won't post and I can't figure out why. Can anyone spot the problem? The page this code is on is ndainvite.php, so it's posting to itself. I thought maybe it was a processing issue, so I pointed the form action at another page. It just doesn't post.

HTML Code:
    	<div style="width:550px; margin:0 auto;>
    	<form action="ndainvite.php" method="post">
    	<h3 style="text-align:center;">Send NDA Invitation</h3>
    	<label>Day: </label><input TYPE="text" NAME="day" value="<?=date('d');?>" SIZE="2" /> &nbsp; &nbsp;
    	<label>Month: </label><input TYPE="text" NAME="month" value="<?=date('m');?>" SIZE="2" /> &nbsp; &nbsp;
    	<label>Year: </label><input TYPE="text" NAME="year" value="<?=date('Y');?>" SIZE="2" /><br /><br />
    	<label>First name: </label><input TYPE="text" NAME="first" SIZE="20" /> &nbsp;
    	<label>Last name: </label><input TYPE="text" NAME="last" SIZE="30" /><br /><br />
    	<label>Distinction: </label><input TYPE="text" NAME="descrip" SIZE="90" /><br /><br />
    	<label>E-ddress: </label><input TYPE="text" NAME="email" SIZE="60" /><br /><br />
    	<label>User Authorizations: </label><br />
    	<input type="checkbox" name="AuthCO" value="" /> View Conceptual Overview<br>
    	<input type="checkbox" name="AuthRM" value="" /> View Roadmap<br>
    	<input type="checkbox" name="AuthES" value="" /> View Executive Summary<br>
    	<input type="checkbox" name="AuthBP" value="" /> View Business Plan<br>
    	<input type="checkbox" name="AuthTD" value="" /> View Technology Detail<br><br>
    	<input type="hidden" name="proc" value="1">
    	<input TYPE="submit" NAME="Submit" VALUE="Send Invitation" style="margin-left:120px;" /></p>
    	</form>
    	</div>

Resolved

I moved the <h3> block outside the form and it works. I didn't realize that was a no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by Donny Bahama View Post
    I didn't realize that was a no-no.
    It's not; something else must be going on there. A couple of other things that are a problem but not that problem:
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Quote Originally Posted by Charles View Post
    It's not; something else must be going on there. A couple of other things that are a problem but not that problem:
    I tried removing the XHTML trailing slashes; I also eliminated all but one input until the form was uber simple. Nothing worked until I moved that H3 block. Then everything was fine. Thanks for the pointer on the label tags. Why is it bad to name the Submit button "Submit"?

Because then the form would have a submit method and a submit property and sometimes that can confuse the browser.
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Code:
    <div style="width:550px; margin:0 auto;>
    You're missing the closing quotation mark on the inline style.

Also, if you are sending a form back to itself using php, I would suggest these two changes to your coding habbits:

PHP Code:
    <form action="<?php echo $_SERVER['PHP_SELF']; ?>" method="post" >
    No matter what page this form is on, it'll send back to itself. What happens when you move and/or rename this file, and forget to change the form?

don't rely on the php short tags <?= ?> as some servers might have those turned off by default, and then you code won't process, and you could end up exposing your code to the unwanted eye. Use the full php tags. <?php ?> it's not that much more effort to type the two additional character.

For debugging purposes, I like to use this at the top (or bottom) of my pages, when testing form or session transfers.

PHP Code:
    <pre>
    <?php print_r($_POST); ?>
    </pre>
    This allows you to see exactly what is getting passed through, so it's easier to see what and where things are failing.

Cool! Thanks for that!

Thread Information