dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Tool for Searching & Analyzing Page Content

Question Tool for Searching & Analyzing Page Content

I don't want to go down any blind alleys so if someone can just tell me if Javascript (or maybe Python) is the right tool for what I'm trying to do (or suggest another) I would appreciate it.

I would like to automate the following: I log onto a web site and click a button to search for assignments. If no assignments are found I want to wait a period of time and search again. However, if assignments are found I want to select one of the available assignments and start searching again for additional assignments.

Thanks, Ray

You'll most likely want something other than JavaScript for this--something that you can run (easily) outside of a browser.

Why not Javascript? and what would you suggest?

JavaScript is meant to be run in a browser. And while it seems like getting a JavaScript to click links and buttons for you would be easy enough, you have to bear in mind that your script needs to be "installed" onto the page, which is possible by means of a bookmarklet. However, once it performs the navigation you want, it won't be present on the second/navigated-to page. So, your "application" would be dead.

What you probably want is a Perl, Java, or PHP script or C/C++ binary making HTTP requests, parsing the response, and making subsequent requests and necessary.

Thanks, I understand a lot better now.

Will Python work? Otherwise, I will use Java.

Python should work.

Thanks, I think I'm good to go now.

Thread Information