www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: help for my son

help for my son

Hello,

I have a son who is six years old. He is an avid PS2 player, and for the last six months has been asking me to teach him how to make Playstation games.

Well, I know very little about developing. What I know is more in MSI creation and management, not actual program development. I did learn (many, many years ago) how to program in Basic, seeing as you had to write your own software back then for TSR 80's and Apple II's, but these skills won't help me here.

I have informed him that it is a complicated matter to create such games and that much study is needed and programming languages would need to be learned, etc. But... being six he is not easily deterred. I do not want to discourage him! I would like to help him! I just don't know how!

Is there somewhere I can start? A program that would allow him to create simple, graphically oriented games? (maybe along the lines of a PONG, or a simple Tetris, a simple Space Invaders, a racing game, etc.) A language that is simple enough for a first grader to begin with, to learn some basic skills? He can read a little, and he has an excellent grasp of numbers, and logical concepts and patterns, for his age.

Any guidance would be a tremendous help. I, of coarse, will be helping him. Thanks in advance.

Justin Knauf

I'm afraid you'd have to buy rights to a graphic engine... and if you did obtain a graphics engine without paying for it(mayby you can get one licensed to you for personal use, not for selling the game he makes.. not sure of the laws.) you would still have to have him handcode tons of code.. and it would pretty much be impossible. it's hard to find a program that a 14 year old can use let alone a 1st grader. The only opensource graphic game development software I know of is blender( http://www.blender.com ) and It was extremely complex..
    (though extremely simplified from what you'd have to do by hand, so it's the most basic one I know of.)

ALTERNATIVE
    Buy morrowind for the Computer, and then let him play around with the "TES Construction Set". he will be able to build tons of things... though being a 1st grader, even TES, extremely simplified, takes some time to learn and creating things that are worth creating take time. (it's a drag and drop construction set where you can take objects from the game and insert them into the map, then move them by setting the X Y and Z positioning properties... you can also change NPC's clothes, armor, ect. It is very nice. I'm sure your 1st grader would be able to understand it, but everything takes time and this would definately teach him how long it takes to create games. because with this it would probly take him a week to create anything, and you could keep telling him, well if you wanna make games, you have to learn how to be patient.
    Theres this thing called imperfection. Its the one thing everyones got but nobody wants.

I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you??? Everytime we lie awake... after every hit we take.. every feeling that i get.. but i haven't missed you yet. only when I stop to think about it... I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you?

If you use a mac, theres this : http://www.tntbasic.com/

You would need to program in basic.

Theres also the torque game engine:

http://www.garagegames.com/pg/product/view.php?id=1

You can get that for $100 bucks. Thats all C++.

I remember a few months ago some company released its old old game sdk.
    I thought it was sierra, and i thought the engine was kings quest, but I was wrong on both parts.

In any event, I don't think any of my suggestions are suited for a 6 year old, unless hes some kind of prodigy.

I think I would go with the previous posters suggestions: there are many games for the PC that come with map editors and campaign creation tools: Warcraft3 and Neverwinter nights come to mind, but I know there are many more.

Age of Empires.. (I, roman expansion, II, conquer expandsion..)

Neverwinter nights is more of a diablo style game. and he would learn how to work it much faster and probably like it much more than the morrowind. but morrowind is 3d and inside the editor you can fly around and see your objects from all angles, paint the land, raise and lower terrain, make buildings, and tons more. it is a very nice game and if you get the bloodmoon + tribunal expansions, there would be enough content for him to spend 4 years tinkering with.

If you really wanna help him, get him to learn how to code webpages, cause then he would get a feel for OOP(Object Oriented Programming) but with a little more simplicity. Then you could get him java or C++, C# ect classes in junior high(if your in a rich neighborhood) or highschool(for the normal places).
    Theres this thing called imperfection. Its the one thing everyones got but nobody wants.

I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you??? Everytime we lie awake... after every hit we take.. every feeling that i get.. but i haven't missed you yet. only when I stop to think about it... I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you?

btw, age of empires would keep him busy and is extremely simplistic. drag and drop. i know he could work it. even if he was an average 6 year old. but then after some experience with age of empires you could move him up to neverwinter nights and then onto morrowind. morrowind is much harder to work with because of all the settings that can be applied to the items you put in the game, not to mention positioning them right and then testing the game then moving them then testing the game, ect. neverwinter nights also has this ability but it isnt mandatory. you can just drag and drop. with morrowind you HAVE to type in numbers to make an object move to where you want it to go. Age of empires is drag and drop with less content to it than neverwinter nights would have and thus is far easier to learn because its based on a large square that you drop either trees, infantry, or buildings on. neverwinter nights has far more catagories and morrowind has endless catagories. so if you really wanna help him, get him age of empires, let him fiddle with that, and in 6 months get him neverwinter nights, let him fiddle with that and then in another 6 months get him morrowind.

Originally posted by Sux0rZh@jc0rz
    ...Then you could get him java or C++, C# ect classes...
    This is a bit non-related, but where could I go to gather more information/learn about said Languages?
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

i think www.w3schools.com has a link on the sidebar that teaches stuff online through movies... cant remember the site. go run around w3schools and look on the right side of the page. itsa yellow ad.

also search google for Programming Language Online Tutorials

or go to borders(a book store) and buy some programming books..

Thread Information