dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: creating a login screen

Cool creating a login screen

Currently our clients access their reports via a link to a protected folder - each client has their own folder with 1 or more user logins.

I would like to add a login page to our server where the user would enter their account# and they would be redirected to mycompany.com/acct# which would then require authentication. I thought that I could use forms & get to redirect but it seems the encoding is getting in the way - cgi is not an option at this point - if anyone has any idea of how to do this using html +/or javascript it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Cyber-guys

Cannot be done with either. Take a look at the server side forums.

Well, actually, it could be done with javascript, but your passwords and links would be open for anyone to read(And encryption etc doesn't work), and that's just terrible security.

I'm not looking to pass passwords via javascript, only the account number - authentication to that folder is on the server - I was able to do it with a prompt window but I want to try to get it 'nicer' looking by using a form. The actual info being viewed is not very sensitive, although a competitor might want to know who we deal with - the account numbers are actually arbitrary and have nothing to do with actual account info so I'm not too concerned with someone snooping.

Thanks,
    Cyber-guys

Cool login screen

I'm back again - management decided this needs to be addressed yesterday (or the day before) you know how that goes, especially after they canned the whole idea six months ago!

Anyways, right now each client has a link to a protected folder on our website. What I need to do is create a link on the website where they can log in and be directed to their folder. Once there the server security would ask for user/password. I think the easiest way would be to request an account #, that account# would be the name of the folder they log into.

Login screen would have 'Enter Acct #' 'OK' 'Cancel' - client enters 1234, clicks OK & he is redirected to website.com/1234 where the server authenticates him.

Any clues as to how to do this?

Thanks in advance,
    Cyber-guys

I'd do it server-side. If you can't use cgi it looks like PERL is out - but you still have the option of php - or asp.net if using a Windows server. Alternatively you could use Javascript - assuming your visititors will have Javascript enabled - not a best option IMV. Whatever you want to do is best asked in the appropriate section of the forum.

Thread Information