www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Custom Reset Button For Countdown Timer

Custom Reset Button For Countdown Timer

Here is my countdown timer, from

http://www.hashemian.com/tools/javascript-countdown.htm
    Code:
    <script language="Javascript">TargetDate="09/04/2010 09:17 AM GMT";BackColor = "transparent";ForeColor = "white";CountActive = true;CountStepper = -1;LeadingZero=true;DisplayFormat="%%H%% Hours, %%M%% Minutes, %%S%% Seconds.";FinishMessage="Spawned";</script><script language="Javascript" src="http://scripts.hashemian.com/js/countdown.js"></script>
    It's very simple and works well for what I need, what I'm now looking for is a reset button to work with this timer. When the reset button is pressed (by anyone) it should reset the "TargetDate" to current date/time (in GMT) then +2 hours, meaning whenever pressed the countdown should start counting down 2 hours. (If this is possible)

I'm a complete novice at javascript and would appreciate any help you may provide, links, guidance, or code.

Thanks alot

You'll need to use a cookie so that the newly defined var TargetDate is not lost when closing the browser.

Some functions you might consider using...

dateObject.getTimezoneOffset()
    Date.parse(datestring)
    dateObject.getTime()

Of course, I like solving puzzles. If I know what the objective is, I would write my own code. A cursory glance at what the other guy did reveals old code, probly inefficient, I dare to bet I could do better.

The timer is for my clan, to time re-spawn times of "boss" monsters. They spawn at fixed time periods. I was originally looking for some sort of "egg timer" or "reverse stopwatch" sort of timer, as opposed to a timer that counts down to a specific date and time, but couldn't find anything close.

The timer needs to count down in hours, minutes and seconds. A reset button do as specified in the original post, and a stop button which will remove the timer and display a message in it's place.

Thanks.

Thread Information