www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Sum of arrays?

Sum of arrays?

Hi,

Googling and lots of trying, didnt really get me anywhere to what i would like, hopefully someone can help point me in the right direction.

For testing purposes i have the following array:

PHP Code:
    $test = array(array(a,1,2,3,4),array(b,1,2,3,4),array(b,1,2,3,4)); 
    I would like to create a function, that adds up the values (the numbers) of each array, if the first value already exists in the array (the letters), so that above posted array, would become:

[PHP}
    $testAgain = array(array(a,1,2,3,4),array(b,2,4,6,8));
    [/PHP]

I've tried to first get the letters in a new array, and make sure that's unique, and then go through $test again, to, if a letter matches, add the values up...but well, that doesnt really seem to work.

Anyone got a hint for me?

Thanks!

peace

array_sum() does that as for your array structure, wouldn't
    PHP Code:
    $test = array( "a"=>array(1,2,3,4),"b"=>array(1,2,3,4),"c"=>array(1,2,3,4) );
    $a array_sum$test["a"] );
    echo 
    "Sum of values in array 'a' = ".$a
    work for you?

This might be a case of needing to understand the context, and perhaps finding a very different solution. For instance, if this array you're dealing with is the result of a database query, my suspicion is that it could be handled more easily and efficiently at the database level, such as with a GROUP BY query with SUM() functions for each of those numeric fields.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply.

You solution wouldnt work for me though, it gets the sum of the array, where i would like to add up values. The array (key?) holds an article number, the numbers are quantities of variations of article; if an article number is being inserted in the array twice, i would like to add up the quantities, perhaps something looking like:

PHP Code:
    $test = array ("cube"=>array("red"=>1,"blue"=>1), "ball"=>array("red"=>1,"blue"=>1), "cube"=>array("red"=>1,"blue"=>2) ); 
    As it is now, the php just echoes what it sees, so it would list "cube" twice, with its quantities, where i would like to have it listed just once, with the quantities added up, so that the array would look like:

PHP Code:
    $test = array ("cube"=>array("red"=>2,"blue"=>3), ("ball"=>array("red"=>1,"blue"=>1) ); 
    Is this possible or is there another way of achieving this? Perhaps already "sort" the array when inserting the new values?

peace

The array is not a result of a database query. I get the data from a form, which saves the data in a (temp) array, which gets pushed into the array i want to sort ($test in this case)

peace

Something like this, perhaps?
    PHP Code:
    <?php
    $test 
    = array(
       array(
    'a'123),
       array(
    'b'246),
       array(
    'b'345),
       array(
    'a'101)
    );
    $sorted = array();
    foreach(
    $test as $entry)
    {

$key array_shift($entry);
       if(isset(
    $sorted[$key]))
       {
          foreach(
    $entry as $ix => $value)
          {

$sorted[$key][$ix] += $value;
          }
       }
       else
       {

$sorted[$key] = $entry;
       }
    }
    echo 
    "<pre>".print_r($sorted1)."</pre>";
    Output:
    Code:
    Array
    (
        [a] => Array
            (
                [0] => 2
                [1] => 2
                [2] => 4
            )

[b] => Array
            (
                [0] => 5
                [1] => 8
                [2] => 11
            )

)
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."

eBookworm.us

Hi,

That is exactly what im looking for!

Unfortunately i have to go to work in a minute, so i don't have time to try it out at the moment, but i will when i get back, and will let you know!

Thanks ever so much!

peace

The script NogDog posted works well for me, however i run into the problem of how to echo the key and the values.

I would like to echo out the key (the product id) and the values (quantities of different variations of that product), something like:

Product: a, Red: 2, Blue, 3, Yellow, 4

I've been trying with key(), but that only returns 0 ?? I've been trying quite a few things, obviously also googled it and searched on the forums here, but i cant seem to find the answer i'm looking for. I either get no result, 0 or 'Array' when i echo.

Would appreciate it a lot if anyone could help me with some directions!

Thanks a lot!

peace

In my previous example, you could do:
    PHP Code:
    foreach($sorted as $id => $data)
    {
       echo 
    "<h4>Product #$id</h4>\n<ul>\n";
       foreach(
    $data as $key => $total)
       {
          echo 
    "<li>$key$total</li>\n";
       }
       echo 
    "</ul>\n";

eBookworm.us

Thanks a lot NogDog, that works perfectly for me!

Fortunately, im almost done with the page im working on. A very heavy delivery as i'm pretty new to php and i'm trying to learn as i go (i have a different scripting background, but eager to learn PHP as well)

Now all i need to do is sort out this session issue, and i think im good to go.

Thanks again!

peace

Thread Information