dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: force Save as dialog

Angry force Save as dialog

I'm trying to set up a downloads page for various resources our customers my need and I want to have it simply request a save as dialog as opposed to navigating away from the page or requiring them to right click and save.

I've looked at numerous examples using ADO but would prefer something simpler, I think I want to go with the content-disposition option but I'm not quite sure how to implement it. Particularly when it comes to knowing it will actually get the right file. Some examples of the proper usage of this method would be appreciated.

As it stands I have links to all the files and would like to have it prompt based on the button clicked. So that a quote/order form button prompts to save such.

Quote Originally Posted by A_Cleghorn View Post
    I'm trying to set up a downloads page for various resources our customers my need and I want to have it simply request a save as dialog as opposed to navigating away from the page or requiring them to right click and save.

I've looked at numerous examples using ADO but would prefer something simpler, I think I want to go with the content-disposition option but I'm not quite sure how to implement it. Particularly when it comes to knowing it will actually get the right file. Some examples of the proper usage of this method would be appreciated.

As it stands I have links to all the files and would like to have it prompt based on the button clicked. So that a quote/order form button prompts to save such.
    Use a javascript to open up a new window that links to the file. That will pop open a save box for ya.

I'll try that and see how it works, but for prosperity's sake let say i did want to do it in asp, is there a way or do I have to use a the ADO connection?

I don't have a PC to try it on, but you might be able to do it. I would try something simple first. Just link to a page that tries to load a PDF file, but make the response type an octet stream.

Thread Information