www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Buttons look so different across browsers

Buttons look so different across browsers

Hi, I have a number of buttons, gif images, which have a word or two in them. In Firefox and Safari I can zoom in and out on the screen with no appreciable effect on the lettering, but in IE and Opera the letters are not very good to start with and get really flaky when I enlarge. Is this a font issue (I am using Calibri) or am I failing to set something up right?

Any help appreciated, Tim

Zooming possibility is a stupid thing for a browser, if you ask me. Anyway, zooming details and behavior acts different, from a browser to another. I don t think there is much you can do about that.

On the other hand...Calibri? I bet over 75% of the users have no Calibri font installed in their browsers. In fact reading the font is not a matter of browsers by all means, it is rather a matter of the fonts already installed in the User's Operating System. If no Calibri font installed, the OS will try to approximate on using another font, which might be more or less alike.

Thanks for your reply Kor, but the answer was to save the buttons as jpg rather than gif, then they enlarge correctly in all browsers.

I'm still hoping for some response to my question a few lines further down...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr T View Post
    Thanks for your reply Kor, but the answer was to save the buttons as jpg rather than gif, then they enlarge correctly in all browsers.

I'm still hoping for some response to my question a few lines further down...
    Sorry, I was not attentive at your specifications. If images, probably the best format is PNG. Anyway, my remarks about the zooming in different browsers remains the same.

But, believe me, zoom is used probably by 0,01% of the users, so why bother about?
    Last edited by Kor; 09-07-2009 at 09:34 AM.

Part of my site is a game, which loads to different sizes on different browsers and different shaped screens. The point of zooming is to get the game to fill as much of the screen as possible, to make it easier to play.

rolloworks.co.uk/playscreens/symbols/42symbols.html for reference

You are obviously very knowledgeable about this stuff. Can you answer my query about onmouseover?

Tim

Thread Information