www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need some advice on why my backgrounds aren't showing up on Safari browsers..

Need some advice on why my backgrounds aren't showing up on Safari browsers..

I'm relatively new to building websites and have run into a problem with my backgrounds for my website not showing up on Safari browsers.
    They show up nicely on Firefox and Camino on my Mac and on Internet Explorer on my PC.
    Can anyone explain to me why that is, and possibly direct me to a universal html or css code configuration that will solve that problem?
    Thanks in advance,

Spot Dailey

PS. You guys rock. There has been a significant decline in the angle of my learning curve since signing up with this site. It is most appreciated.
    Last edited by Spot Dailey; 09-04-2009 at 12:39 AM.

We need more information...

Have you got a link to the site, or can you pop up the culprit code that should display the background. We need this because it really depends on how your site is really setup, whether it is style by html markup or whether you're trying to style it with css.

Thanks, here's what I'm using...

As I said, I'm a noobie at this, but here's what I've been using as a background code that seems to work everywhere but on Safari Browsers.

<style>body{background-color: ; background-image: url(http://noobie.com/graphics/EmptyPage.jpg);</style>

Your help is much appreciated.
    Spot

That's incorrect, several ways, and should be
    Code:
    <style type="text/css">body {background-image: url(http://noobie.com/graphics/EmptyPage.jpg)}</style>
    Make friends with The Validator
    “The power of the Web is in its universality. Access by everyone regardless of disability is an essential aspect.”
    —Tim Berners-Lee, W3C Director and inventor of the World Wide Web

Charles is right but...

can I suggest a more thorough way to put your background image in? The way that Charles and yourself are trying to achieve does not really control how the image spans across the page, where its location begins, or what the background should show if the image is not available.

try this:

body { background:#ffffff url('http://noobie.com/graphics/EmptyPage.jpg') repeat-xy top right }

repeat-xy can also be: `repeat-x`, `repeat-y`, or `no-repeat`. depending on which way you want to repeat it.

top can also be: `bottom` or `#px` from the top.
    right can also be: `left` or `#px` from the left.

sorry if it sounds confusing, but if you niggle around with it a little, you'll get it pretty quickly.

Thanks Guys..

Thanks guys. As I said before, "YOU ROCK". Your assistance is most appreciated. I now dub this site "Grief Relief".
    Spot

Thread Information