www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: BlueHost Vs GoDaddy

BlueHost Vs GoDaddy

Wich one is better? does anyone use either one and why? i would like some feedback, im about to make my .com site, im looking for the best offer (aparentky blue host gives you more hosting space and cgi, php and some other things).
    thanx
    BlueHost |GoDaddy
    Last edited by saulss; 10-14-2005 at 12:45 AM. Reason: added urls
    (\ /)
    (O.o)
    (> <)
    <- Bunny was here...

Never use GoDaddy.com

I work for a company that has acquired several companies in recent years. One of the companies we bought had registered their domain name with godaddy.com. Part of the acquisition was buying out one of the partners. The partner who was bought out (under bad terms) was the person who the domain name was registered to. When he finally read his credit card bill (MONTHS later) and saw that he was being charged for the domain name, and hosting, he put a stop order on payment from his card. Godaddy.com, without ANY correspondence, shutdown the account.
    We tried to change the registrar name, and billing information for 6 months. It was a weekly routine, that typically involved us faxing a copy of a drivers license, e-mailing a copy of that driver's license, and snail mailing a copy of that drivers license, along with a couple pages of paperwork. EVERY TIME customer support would decline our photo ID as being "Too dark to read". The only person we could ever get a hold of was a level 1 support tech, who had ZERO control over what we needed taken care of. Furthermore, the tech admitted that there was NO way to get ahold of those in charge, and he recieved those kinds of complaints often. After mending bridges with the ousted former partner of the company, we managed to get him to change the registered name of the domain, along with the account information. This was a long process.
    In short: godaddy.com will work fine if you never need service. But in this field, service is inevitable, and when you need them, godaddy.com will not be there for you.

I will suggest joker. I am using joker in 4years to my different domains.
    Never got a sigle problem. Never!

Bluehost Is Trash

I have been using BlueHost.com in a few days and it SUX. End of story.

- Exceded processor quota
    - Verry unreliable (your domain don't load some times)
    - Slow (takes ~10 seconds to save a 30kB trough FTP with 3mbit)

BlueHost is writing reviews about themself in Ghost pages and cloacked domains.

You are warned.

I'm not shocked by what Goble said.

A few minutes ago I spoke to Bluehost.com's Admin Rick. (They are closed on Sundays.) I can't tell you what I had to go through, how ignorant I had to act and how threatening I had to become just to have the (as they deem) "privledge" of having someone "technical" speak to me. The reason for my ranting was that my e-commerce site went down. This site was up and running SMOOTHLY until today then ALL OF A SUDDEN without fingers touching it, it goes down.

They claim it is not a server issue (of course). Then when Rick gets on the phone he says I'm taking time away from his family and children. I responded, "I pay for emergency service. This is an e-commerce site, not a blog. My site being down is taking food away from my children." Then he hung up the phone. Before he came to the phone I asked the customer service representative to just have him restore their latest backup as he said (through her) that he could not find the problem.

Now as I type I'm holding for him to answer the phone again. This week my sites are going to be moved from bluehost.com and I'm going to share my experience on every site. I'm in complete shock now that he would say I'm taking time away from his family and children. He is an Admin for a web hosting provider. Did he expect 9-5 days? If it were not for the customers he would not be able to take care of the family that he so preciously wants to spend time with we need to share bad experiences so others don't get screwed.

Been using Bluehost for awhile now. Recently they have been inserting code into my pages. Haven't found out what it does yet, but it is a javascript code that loads A LOT of info.

I am redhot and want everyone to know what is going on. I have many sites on their servers, and it is not just one site. It is many different sites that have this javascript inserted in the index page.

I wouldn't recommend bluehost.com (bluehost).

I would definitely recommend BlueHost over GoDaddy.

BlueHost offer CPanel 11 while GoDaddy offer their own heavily customised version of Plesk that is far more restrictive.

Neither site add any additional code to your pages - if you are seeing that then either your firewall is inserting the code, you have a virus or spyware inserting the code or your site has been trashed by a third party having guessed your password.

GoDaddy will shut down a domain name at the first sign of someonne complaining about anything.

BlueHost provides such large disk space and bandwidth that they are effectively unlimited. Where they do limit things is in CPU usage. If you have a really badly written script that is exttremely inefficient they will throttle its execution before it impacts on the other sites sharing hosted on the same server. That is a good thing except for the person with the adly written script since it means that the effect that other people's sites can have on yours is limited. The other thing that BlueHost limit is the number of emails that can be sent through your hosting in a given period so as to prevent their servers being used to send spam. Also a good thing unless you have some reason for needing to send thousands of emails every hour.

BlueHost is definitely one of the better hosting providers although as with any hosting provider there is always a small fraction of .0001% of users who are not satisfied for some reason and very vocal about it. In many of these cases the sort of site they are running may not be suitable for shared hosting and should perhaps be running on its own separate server.
    Stephen

You sound like a bluehost employee. I've been using godaddy for years now. I agree that their techs don't know crap, but i haven't neede much support because everything runs as it should.

No just a satisfied BlueHost user. The couple of times I have had issues with my hosting the BlueHost techs have fixed it for me almost immediately.

I did some work for someone using GoDaddy once and had to patch my Paypal IPN script to get around proxy restrictions that their hosting provided. It took several weeks of testing to identify that the problem was the Godaddy configuration. Fortunately once I identified the problem a member of Paypal staff was able to provide the solution.
    Stephen

We were with Earthlink until they fell apart (started crashing several times a week), then tried GoDaddy . . . big mistake. I could never get a simple form to work, and their technical support is a joke.

We then went to a small, local host, Nikira.com. We've had very few problems, and their technical support is excellent. They furnished all the features we needed (at no extra charge), and they are more stable than the two big companies were.

Quote Originally Posted by jobe
    Been using Bluehost for awhile now. Recently they have been inserting code into my pages. Haven't found out what it does yet, but it is a javascript code that loads A LOT of info.
    I use BlueHost and never had that happen. Did you contact the techs?

I agree with felgall. I have never had a problem with BlueHost. They are quick to answer questions and very helpful. I'm still waiting for GoDaddy to answer a question I asked two years ago.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

I've been using HOSTMONSTER for a long time. I'm happy with their support. HOSTMONSTER and BLUEHOST are one and the same.

Wow. What's up with the hate for Bluehost in here?

Bluehost has been hosting dozens of my sites for years and I've had very minimal issues with them.

Bluehost has been named top 3 in almost every Top 10 domain listings category for the past 3 years that I know of.

Here's my take on whose better. Just because you like apples better than oranges doesn't mean apples are better. I love oranges more than apples lol. corny but true!

Godaddy's support charges you for EVERY minute your on the phone. How's a large company like that charging you for tech support? Bluehost has 24/7 free tech support so you shouldn't be complaining

But i guess you can shoot all this out the door because there's an article that talks about keeping your domain WITH your registrar....read up! http://greatdomainstoday.com/having-...-a-great-idea/

Also note that what Bink said (re: not being open on Sunday) is a year and a half old. They now provide service (and good one at that) 24/7.
    Lee

""Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened."" -- Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Bink
    I'm not shocked by what Goble said.

A few minutes ago I spoke to Bluehost.com's Admin Rick. (They are closed on Sundays.) I can't tell you what I had to go through, how ignorant I had to act and how threatening I had to become just to have the (as they deem) "privledge" of having someone "technical" speak to me. The reason for my ranting was that my e-commerce site went down. This site was up and running SMOOTHLY until today then ALL OF A SUDDEN without fingers touching it, it goes down.

They claim it is not a server issue (of course). Then when Rick gets on the phone he says I'm taking time away from his family and children. I responded, "I pay for emergency service. This is an e-commerce site, not a blog. My site being down is taking food away from my children." Then he hung up the phone. Before he came to the phone I asked the customer service representative to just have him restore their latest backup as he said (through her) that he could not find the problem.

Now as I type I'm holding for him to answer the phone again. This week my sites are going to be moved from bluehost.com and I'm going to share my experience on every site. I'm in complete shock now that he would say I'm taking time away from his family and children. He is an Admin for a web hosting provider. Did he expect 9-5 days? If it were not for the customers he would not be able to take care of the family that he so preciously wants to spend time with we need to share bad experiences so others don't get screwed.
    Bink -
    All I have to say is, you'll find something wrong with someone at any time. There is no perfect solution or company out there. They are open on Sunday's...I've experienced some bad things with network solutions and godaddy. Also, I love Bluehosts cPanel 10x's better than Godaddy's plesk
    Last edited by benjee68; 08-02-2007 at 12:54 PM.

Thread Information