www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: People experienced with php + database work - advice needed

People experienced with php + database work - advice needed

Hey guys

I am planning on creating a database that's primarily messages exchanged b/w one person and another. what's the best way to set this up in the long run.

What I have:
    3 separate tables:
    A table = list of group A people
    B table = list of group B people
    C table = messages b/w A and B

C table
    messageid | aperson | bperson | time | message

i'm guessing this isn't how facebook does it?
    And this seems VERY basic... what am i missing or how can i improve this?

Any particular reason the people need to be split between 2 tables? If the data for each type of person is the same, I would just have one table to which you could add a column to specify if they are type A or B.

And there's nothing wrong with "basic" if it gets the job done. In fact, "basic" is often better than "complex".
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Why two tables for users? I'd have the following:

users:
    id, name, etc

users_messages
    user_id, message_id

This will give you a good structure to use within your code, plus the flexibility of conversations not limited to two people. If this is definitely never going to be a requirement you could drop the join table and add the user's ids as foreign keys in the messages table.

mm i guess two tables isn't really needed.. its just table a users will never interact with each other and table b users will never interact with each other. there will only be cross interaction. does that make a difference?

i dont know.. maybe im overthinking it..
    besides the users involved, the message, and the time... am i missing anything else that needs to be documented?

thanks guys for your quick responses!

Quote Originally Posted by xpiamchris View Post
    mm i guess two tables isn't really needed.. its just table a users will never interact with each other and table b users will never interact with each other. there will only be cross interaction. does that make a difference?
    No, a user is a user regardless of how they may interact within your system. That kind of logic is best handled by the PHP side. The database is really there just as a repository for data (although relationships between different 'entities' like users and messages obviously needs to be considered at the database level).

Thread Information