www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Which hosting services do you like and why?

Well, there are plenty of good hosts and many of them are local companies, popular in their own countries or regions only. When anyone is searching for web hosting the most important thing is to have a list of requirements, not to follow the marketing tricks... especially in Shared Hosting.

Personally used to use Colossalhost, although they left a bad taste in my mouth as they were extremely rude to my girlfriend (she's a quazi web developer who I had suggested getting a site there). Also have used 1and1, however now everything is done through Rackspace Cloud (formerly known as Mosso) which gives me the freedom that I like.

You setup a cloud host with the operating system of choice (CentOs here) and then do everything backend. Also a good way to work on your LAMP skills. Have perl\mysql setup as well as awstats, iRedMail, and more. They have great tutorials. Also it's all scalable, if your site starts doing more traffic you just up the ram, the server I just setup is 1.5 cents an hour plus cost of bandwidth usage. They have hosting too but that I think is $100 a month and I don't have that kind of money.
    Mullanaphy!
    http://www.mullanaphy.com/

Unless code is provided or an exact example is requested I think I'm going to start using psuedo code from now on...

Also, I freelance as well. Inquire within!

I like the http://www.thewebpole.com/ .This is the reputable web hosting company.It provides the three hosting packages which has more features & also provides some free service .It provides the guidance also.

gewes Guest
    If you want our site in the search engines have a good ranking, web site domain name is a very important factor.

Do some hosting companies have better SEO than others?

I have been using GoDaddy for 5 years with no issues. My site has never had any downtime that I am aware of, and I pay about 5 bucks/month.

The main complaint I have is trying to find your way around their website. If you don't know what you're doing you could end up paying for something that they already offer for free with your hosted account (webmail for example).

The only paid service I use or recommend is lunarpages ....

However most of the time, free hosts are as good as, or better than paid hosts ...
    99 little bugs in the code, 99 bugs in the code, fix one bug, compile it again ... 101 little bugs in the code

An important petition, regarding your human rights:
    https://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...r-both-genders

It is a interesting sharing.............

Hmm... do you get all the same stuff with a free host?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    Compared to my unlimited - web , bandwidth web host service, site5 is bloody expensive as cheap reliable professional hosting goes. The charges work out to abour Double what I pay and I pay £30 all in, including domain name.

1and1 like all the bigger hosting companies seem to offer you a good deal but even these prices quoted are expensive and given that 1and1 have cap limits, what do they charge for going over your cap limit?

I would shop around more because IMHO you will find a cheaper web host than these offerings. Cheap does not mean that your not getting service or support. It is a popular misconception that you have to pay to get service. Utter rubbish. Some shell companies offer same or better services from bulk host services which these companies like 1and1 are very likely to use and cream off a hell of a profit.

====================

Horror stories.... Yes, StreamLine.net (part of Dollamore Ltd) who are a really big Hosting company based in Derby, Derbyshire. They are without a doubt a bunch of robbing b@*****s charged me £79 for a two year contract. 3 months in to the deal the site gets wiped out from a serverside attack.

I found from what logs remained that the attack came from an american IP address block and the web host was offering at the time a free 3 months deal as a trial and it was in that period that the site got trashed.

The version of PHP that they told me that they were running was a very bug ridden release and they stated that they had no intention of upgrading to PHP5 despite pointing out to them that in the period when the site was hacked, I had no ISP as my broadband had been cut off by my ISP who was demanding money that they were not entitled to.

When I eventually got online again, I found that the issues did not stop. Logging in to the FTP side of the service, found that the htdocs folder had been deleted completely and I had not got enough root permissions to make the directory. Despite stating this clearly to the morons, they told me to make a folder and that the problem was not theirs to deal with and the techs tried to blame me for the problem by claiming that I deleted the folder. Considering I never had permissions to make an effing folder, what these cretins failed to see was that I would not have the permissions to delete it.

The person who hacked the server gained root permissions. So this would have been the exploit in PHP4 that was taken advantage of in order to gain root permissions.

I reported them to trading standards authority and they were a complete waste of time, the advice was to write, telling them my right and to ask for a partial refund. The letter got nowhere, I got ignored and Trading standards refused to take any further action because the company had not replied and were using a loop hole to keep hold of the money.

So in simple terms, if your in the UK and looking for a UK web host, give Streamline or any of Dollamores services a wide one. You will be doing yourself a favor.

Oh... did I mention that they tried to take another 2 year payment when renewal was on the horizon? This was despite me informing them 3 months before hand in a recorded delivery letter that we will not be renewing... Bunch of cowboys.

My current host... well were now in to year 2, so that is an indication if any that they are very accommodating and have answered my email requests within minutes, sometimes the reply is instant and they are all personal answers, not computer generated and the person uses their real name, so theirs a data trail.

As for who they are... , if you want to buy some reliable UK based hosting space, talk to me.

As for StreamLine.net, unless they refund me the full £79, I will take every opportunity to minimize their revenues and potential new customers.
    ALSO ADD....

Fasthosts.

Not sure which way around this went but its either Dollamore bought them out or Fasthosts bought out Dollamore. Eitherway, Fasthosts are just as bad as the rest of the money grabbing shysters.
    We all have baggage to carry in life, unfortunately for me I always get the trolley with the wonky wheel...
    Code:
    Youre = {
          STILL_not_getting_it:function(){
               alert("YOU, the original poster / thread starter NEED to POST the code and NOT a LINK.");
          },
          MissingThePoint:function(msg){
                alert("You're missing the point. " + msg);
          }
    }
    Youre.STILL_not_getting_it();

Oh, so IMHO means "in my honest opinion". I just Googled it. Your using it just pushed me over the "what IS that" threshold to the "I'm looking it up" domain.

Anyway, I've heard quite a few horror stories myself. It seems like some hosting companies will try to take advantage of the ones who don't know what they're doing. For example, I heard about a farmer who wanted a website and was paying about $125 a month for hosting. All they had was a small, simple website but I guess the people who sold it to them told them they needed much more than necessary. You can get a whole year of hosting for less than that.

Quote Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
    I have been using GoDaddy for 5 years with no issues. My site has never had any downtime that I am aware of, and I pay about 5 bucks/month.

The main complaint I have is trying to find your way around their website. If you don't know what you're doing you could end up paying for something that they already offer for free with your hosted account (webmail for example).
    Yeah! You try leaving them and see what *ollocks you have to put up with. A friend went with them and unfortunately he was killed in a car accident. His father informed them that the account needed stopping and what did they do? Just like AOL did to another friend who died several years ago, they charged his card TWICE!

My advice to anyone dealing with companies that automatically help themselves to your account is to time the contract end to coincide with a letter informing them that you no longer want the services, change bank cards and cancel direct debits, etc. and then see just how much they try to take from you and threaten you over money they say you owe and that you have not informed them.

When I was an NTL customer, I had a situation where I was overcharged and I had enough and handed a letter in person to the customer services desk which was written in red ink on canary yellow paper. Something you may not immediately understand but it was designed to be "Memorable" and it paid off when I had a court summons land on my door step for money I didn't owe. They had ignored my request to cancel the contract as I had completed the 12 months. I went back to customer services, queued for ages and in front of a queue of about 80 people, showed them up for the wasters they were.

They had not done anything with my letter, I could see it at the bottom of the customer services front counter in tray. The look on the womans face was a picture when I pointed to it and reminded her that I handed to her a canary yellow piece of A4 paper with bright red writing on it. Wish I had a camera and it got a number of mutterings and comments like "Glad I'm not the only one"

Seems anything internet based is geared to ripping you off, and thats just the ISP's before you get to any of the Nigerian scammers online.
    Last edited by JunkMale; 10-29-2011 at 03:06 AM.
    We all have baggage to carry in life, unfortunately for me I always get the trolley with the wonky wheel...
    Code:
    Youre = {
          STILL_not_getting_it:function(){
               alert("YOU, the original poster / thread starter NEED to POST the code and NOT a LINK.");
          },
          MissingThePoint:function(msg){
                alert("You're missing the point. " + msg);
          }
    }
    Youre.STILL_not_getting_it();

Quote Originally Posted by 6StringGeek View Post
    True. It seems like that's my main complaint too. Their product works, but you need to call support when it involves even the most basic backend move, such as getting my FTP information. I think the admin panel could definitely use some retooling.

I've hosted several sites at 100webspace.com and been very satisfied. You can get a FREE account with a banner ad at the top of your page and a basic, limited plan without the banner is $11.88 per year. A good plan which can host 5 domains is $35.40 per year. Email tech support is very responsive and the control panel includes anything I have needed.

SEO is the process of making web pages easy to findand easy to categorize.In SEO, there are two important aspects which is crucial to any SEO campaign. These are the on-page SEO and off-page SEO. On-page SEO involves a number of techniques which is aimed to make a website more “search engine friendly”, while off-page SEO are those techniques which involves getting links from other websites as well as techniques which are aimed to build-up a website’s reputation in their own industry.

Thread Information