www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Specifying for an intrinsic event??

Specifying for an intrinsic event??

I've worked my way through all the validation errors that I originally had with the exception of this one:

"The default scripting language must be specified for an intrinsic event"

It's referring to the onClick, onMouseOver and onMouseOut declarations. I've never had a problem with using these declarations in the past so I'm not sure where the problem is.

Code:
    <a href="bio/atkinsonbio.php" target="_blank" onClick="window.open('bio/atkinsonbio.php','Steven Atkinson Bio','height=431,width=649,toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no'); return false;">
    					Steven
    					</a>
    					</td>
    					<td>&nbsp;</td>
    					<td align="left">
    					<a class="hoverover" style="cursor:default;" onMouseOver="ShowPopup('atkinsonpopup');" onMouseOut="HidePopup('atkinsonpopup');" href="bio/atkinsonbio.php" target="_blank" onClick="window.open('bio/atkinsonbio.php','Steven Atkinson Bio','height=431,width=649,toolbar=no,directories=no,status=no,menubar=no,scrollbars=no,resizable=no'); return false;">
    					Atkinson
    					</a>
    Anyone have any ideas how to correct this? I would normally take out the script after this much headache but I'll only have to deal with this in the future since I intend to reuse this script on other projects. The overall problem with the script concerns the need for unique popup thumbnail images associated with each name (1 per row). I'm hoping that by correcting this validation problem I will, in turn, be correcting the overall issue.

For reference, www.huguenotbats.com/team.php

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by perfectdesign View Post
    "The default scripting language must be specified for an intrinsic event"
    Which browser generates that?
    When you click 'schedule', I.E indicates a problem on Line 64, which is a missing ' at the end of the window.open call and a : instead of ;.
    Y_U U_G_A_E_U_ B_S_A_D_

While I may have other minor errors on other pages, it is the 'team' page that I am presently concerned with and asking for help with. Fixing what is essentially punctuation in the code on the other pages is a fairly simple task. Working through the validation error (from totalvalidator.com BTW) is what I'm asking for help with.

onMouseOver should be onmouseover and the like. They should ALL be lower case. Mose browsers will run this just fine, but technically, they are case sensitive. This will actually turn on quirks mode in a browser. In HTML transitional requires that all tag names and attributes be lower case. Otherwise, events can seem to the validator to be from another language other than JavaScript, which is the default default language. Try that and let me know if it works. I got rid of the error by doing this in Dreamweaver

If you still get the error, add this to your page in the META tags section:

<meta http-equiv="Content-Script-Type" content="text/javascript" />
    Last edited by jamesbcox1980; 09-23-2009 at 04:48 PM. Reason: changed to transitional XHTML

Thread Information