www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Dreamweaver to MySQL using PERL script

Dreamweaver to MySQL using PERL script

Hi, I am a newbie in Dreamweaver and MySQL stuff, perl etc.

I use Dreamweaver CS3. I have recently created a web form, the typical "contat us" form and I was able to set it up through a CGI script, with hidden buttons that runs the script which was provided by the server. This script sends the contact information to to a specific email in the body of the email. Currently that works, but...

Instead of doing that, I want that information to be transmitted to a MySQL database and table that I also have created using PHPmyAdmin.

1st QUESTION: How do I transfer the data to the MySQL table using CGI Perl?

2nd QUESTION: the other problem I have is that I am not even sure if the script below is Perl code, and if Dreamweaver supports Perl.

3rd QUESTION: if it is supported by Dreamweaver, would I just copy/paste the script into the code mode?

I can understand what I am supposed to do by cutting/pasting and replacing, but I am not even sure if its something I should be trying and if its compatible, so I dont want to waste time. PLEASE HELP!!!

SCRIPT PROVIDED BY SERVER and DESCRIPTION:

"The script below uses CGI to grab input from a fill-in form; connect to a MySQL Database; and write the fill-in form input to an existing MySQL table. The values that must be changed to reflect your database are marked in red."

#!/usr/bin/perl

use DBI;

use CGI ':standard';

## grab input from fill-in form:

my ($id,$username,$email,$address);

## store the input from fill-in form into varibles:

$id = param('id');

$username = param('username');

$email = param('email');

$address = param('address');

## connect to mySQL database:

$DSN = "DBI:mysql:database_name:localhost";

my $dbh = DBI->connect($DSN, "database_name", "password") || die "Can't Connect";

## insert fill-in form input into database:

my $sel = $dbh->prepare("INSERT INTO table_name VALUES(NULL,?,?,?)");

$sel->bind_param(1, $username);

$sel->bind_param(2, $email);

$sel->bind_param(3, $address);

$sel->execute() && $sel->finish();

$dbh->disconnect;

Hello cuau.

Firstly, yes, the code you pasted is positively Perl. :-)

Dreamweaver, as I roughly know, is a tool mainly for webdesign. You need not Dreamweaver to support Perl in any way. The server where your web is hosted must be configured to allow Perl scripting -- it would seem that your host supports CGI. In such a case, there usually is a specific directory where the Perl scripts should go. In the normal case, the directory is /cgi-bin.

If this is your case, then upload the Perl script there -- and set its "execute" permission, this is important. You would then set your form's "action" attribute to the URL of the script, e.g. http://example.com/cgi-bin/form.pl

Of course you must first change the script as appropriate to connect to your database, i.e. set up the database name, username and password.

Hope this helps

Thread Information