www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Can Ajax be used to upload files?

Can Ajax be used to upload files?

Sorry, I could not find an Ajax forum. This had more views and I'll be using PHP. Can Ajax be used to upload files from a browser and how?

It would appear so... http://www.webtoolkit.info/ajax-file-upload.html and http://www.ajaxf1.com/tutorial/ajax-...-tutorial.html so try searching as I did on google for Ajax file upload any you will find more.

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    It would appear so... http://www.webtoolkit.info/ajax-file-upload.html and http://www.ajaxf1.com/tutorial/ajax-...-tutorial.html so try searching as I did on google for Ajax file upload any you will find more.
    Thank you. Forgot about that.

Anyway is it possible? I'm quite busy and it'll be pointless to go through huge articles all over the web if what I'm searching is not possible.

Thats the point of the links, they are tutorials on how to and explain whats going on so you understand the process.

Cool nessesary knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by PETTE View Post
    I have all the nessesary knowledge and skills to develop a website. I'm very familiar with most programming languages Including PHP, Ajax, XSL e.t.c
    OK.... now I'm really confused!
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

Hmmmm, meeee tooooo.

Exactly which part is confusing. Is it because I have all the necessary skills then I should be asking this question. Or is it my grammar which gave out the wrong meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by PETTE View Post
    I'm quite busy and it'll be pointless to go through huge ...
    explanations about AJAX and PHP to someone who is very familiar with them. If you are having trouble with some point in your code, people are quite happy to help. If you are a poser and can't be bothered to even try to do something on your own, you will more than likely be shunned.
    Your question about the possibility of handling uploads with AJAX and then not even bothering to check out the links provided to you kind of showed your true colors.
    Sorry.
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

Well I'm not sure about your interpretation of 'very familiar', but I'm certain it does not mean being very proffesional/expert. Perhaps advanced at some level would be the best interpretation. Actually I did visit the links but scrolled through very quickly and realised how huge the contents were, I wanted just a quick explanation before I went further to read through the pages before I wasted my time. Me being a poser? I'm not sure about that... I can't see anywhere I've expressed this.
    Last edited by PETTE; 09-27-2009 at 07:25 AM.

AJAX can perform all the form functions you would be able to do through a regular web form and then some.

Ajax can perform a file upload, header request and a few other things that will depend upon the configuration of the server and what the server allows and also the type of server, eg Apache or not.

The point of the URL's that I posted was to show you the code, if your experienced, this code should be self explanatory, the write up is to give you a reference should something need explaining.

We can't help you unless you post code of what you have, explain the issue, show what you have attempted to do by example. In this instance you asked if something could be done, I replied with the answer and your reluctant to read because your too busy... If this is part of a development that your going to be delivering to an end client, then you need to make time to read up.

Fair comment?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    AJAX can perform all the form functions you would be able to do through a regular web form and then some.

Ajax can perform a file upload, header request and a few other things that will depend upon the configuration of the server and what the server allows and also the type of server, eg Apache or not.

The point of the URL's that I posted was to show you the code, if your experienced, this code should be self explanatory, the write up is to give you a reference should something need explaining.

We can't help you unless you post code of what you have, explain the issue, show what you have attempted to do by example. In this instance you asked if something could be done, I replied with the answer and your reluctant to read because your too busy... If this is part of a development that your going to be delivering to an end client, then you need to make time to read up.

Fair comment?
    Absolutely.

Ajax is just a technique for sending a HTTP request, nothing more. Anything you can do via a standard HTTP request, you can do using AJAX (including upload files). It isn't some magic that does "all forms can do and then some". It's just a means of sending a HTTP request and receiving the result.

@OP - You have said you are familiar with AJAX - maybe you will need to quantify this and be a bit more specific with your issue. As others have said if you just want someone to do your work for you because you can't be bothered to read up, you will not get much help.

In the open property.

GET (Supported by IE7+, Mozilla 1+)
    POST (Supported by IE7+, Mozilla 1+)
    HEAD (Supported by IE7+)
    PUT
    DELETE
    OPTIONS (Supported by IE7+)

But the scope of the avilable methods depends as I previously stated, a server configuration as not all methods are supported and the browser plays a part also.

At the very least, the methods that you will be able to rely on is GET and POST.

Thanks for the answers.

Another question where are the skin files for flash saved in the Adobe Dreamweaver CS4 directory? I'm trying to use some of the Dreamweaver skins without using the Dreamweaver CS4 application. It does not support .f4v flash formats, It accepts only .flv. I'm trying to press a good quality flash video with a decent skin but that is proving difficult.

Thread Information