dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: universal ban through PHPSESSID

Question universal ban through PHPSESSID

It seems on one site that a PHPSESSID is used to redirect certain banned users to a 'banned' page. Clearing cookies, using IP proxies, trying different browsers, and using a combination of these does not help to circumvent it. Thus, it seems that it's not just an IP ban; something else is being used to ban without falling for the typical proxy trick. I have never seen such a ban in practice before until now. Does anyone know what this could likely be? Thanks for any insight.

Can't seem to edit my OP atm so I'll amend it here with one further bit of info: the value of PHPSESSID in the URL changes every time.

I would doubt it is the session id, as that is normally a (pseudo) random string. They could possibly maintain a database of proxy IPs they do not trust, perhaps?
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    I would doubt it is the session id, as that is normally a (pseudo) random string. They could possibly maintain a database of proxy IPs they do not trust, perhaps?
    Maybe the ban doesn't relate to PHPSESSID.

Tested many proxies from http://www.hidemyass.com/proxy-list/, mostly ones listed as 'new', and they all result in the same message about the guest being banned.

The proxies have been tested on one true IP address so far. I wonder if they really banned all of those proxies, or if they are somehow detecting that it's the same source using the proxies.

Would anyone know anything about this?
    Last edited by cbb; 12-29-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Thread Information