www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: stretch div to bottom of page

Question stretch div to bottom of page

Hi, I'm working on my first site over at kindari.net. I would like the blue area to stretch to the bottom of the page. I can achieve this by adding height: 100%; to the .content class, but then it creates too much content, adding a scroll bar when there need not be. anyone know of a fix for this?

You could create a table which contains everything else on your page. Ensure that all of the row heights sum up to 100% height, and you should get the desired result. If you still need a .content DIV, you could stick it inside a table row and give the DIV 100% height (100% of the containing table row height).

I'm sure there's a cleaner way to do this with CSS, but I'm not aware of it.

So are you wanting one continuous blue box that stretches the whole length of the page, rather than just a blue background around each paragraph?

http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...54&postcount=2

Seems right no?

Possibly add a footer to the bottom of the page to get the background.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lane View Post
    You could create a table which contains everything else on your page. Ensure that all of the row heights sum up to 100% height, and you should get the desired result. If you still need a .content DIV, you could stick it inside a table row and give the DIV 100% height (100% of the containing table row height).

I'm sure there's a cleaner way to do this with CSS, but I'm not aware of it.
    No!!!!!!!!

don't use a table, tables are for data, not layout.
    Tables are really bad for a lot of reasons.
    They negatively affect maintenance, accessibility, performance, and semantics...

use css to control your layout, that's what it's for...

Thread Information