www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need Help With Page Load Times Lots Of Flash

Need Help With Page Load Times Lots Of Flash

I am in the process of developing a site for a client and have the main page underway

I vewed it on 2 different computers in IE and FireFox and it loads pretty fast usually in under 5-10 seconds for all the flash and images etc to fully load

However my client keeps saying at his end it takes upwards of 5-10 minutes and he and several members of his company have all said the same on several different computers in a couple of different countries so nothing specific to just his machine or internet connection

But always loads fast where ever I try it??

Anyone who has a few mins spare could you visit the site below and report back here roughly how long it took to load, what internet connection your using and what browser etc

Thanks in advance

http://www.MTI-Online.net
    OriginalFundRaisingWidget - Free "Non Commercial" PayPal FundRaising Widget, for Charities, Organizations and Individuals, Hosted Free. Check It Out

FYI,

Time to load: about 5 minutes
    Files downloaded: 190+
    File total amount: 4.6mb+
    Internet connection: 384k DSL
    Browser: Internet Explorer 6.0

Based on the speed of my connection, and probably also distance, I would say downloading 5mb of data would normally take that long.

Well if you're getting the site to load in 5-10 seconds, that's because you're viewing it on your local machine or you're viewing over the Internet with most of the files all ready stored in your Temp Internet Files folder. Delete everything from the cache and test again. After testing open up cache again and look at all the stuff that needs to download, about 130 items by my count, approx 3.75 MB. That's a pretty large amount of data to download just to view the first page. But I think the problem has more to to with large number of items rather than just the total amount of data.
    I'm using a 6Mb connection and I viewed the site in IE7, about 60 seconds to completely load. In FF3, I shut it off after 5 min, site still not fully loaded. So I can see why your client is not satisfied. I tried to validate the page to see what the browser differences might be, but the validation could not even be done because of an unknown character in the code. You might want to check that out.
    http://www.w3schools.com/site/site_validate.asp
    I'm a Flash guy myself but I would have to say that the Flash was way overdone on this one. Looking at the source code... and dispite the color, action, and splash on the page... there is NO CONTENT as far as Google is concerned. No text which can be easily indexed, just some Flash which calls in images. So my advice, don't use so many moving, flashing, changing images. Way too distracting. Get some real text content on the page, at least as alt="info" on static images.
    Well anyway, that's my 2 cents worth.
    EfV

I deleted temp files and still under 30 seconds
    OriginalFundRaisingWidget - Free "Non Commercial" PayPal FundRaising Widget, for Charities, Organizations and Individuals, Hosted Free. Check It Out

What's your connection speed?
    EfV

Yeah im thinking baout changing some of it around but the thing is my client WANTS the two flash menu's and the news section and the 9 flash images near the bottom, the advertising can be changed to static images no problem

I mean there should not be a problem using these elements on a site but even removing several of them he still says too slow

Just for example the news or the 9 images at bottom on their own it still takes him forever to load it, what could be wrong with these elements that are causing such a slow load time, surely people are successfully using flash on their sites without all this hassle or people would not make flash items and be able to sell them like this??

The validation error you mentioned was a copyright symbol incorrectly formatted in the code

Im on a comcast internet around 4-6mb i believe from what I have been told and from online speed tests I have done in the past

Well you may want to investigate why the difference between IE and FF. Often, it has to do with something in the code not validating. I'd suggest you validate the code. There should not be that big of a difference between IE and FF download times. GThat may be the reason it's taking him so long to download.
    Looking at individual items, one named trendad176X110 is a small .gif but its over 500kb. I can't imagine why the file size is so large for such a small animated gif. You may also find that using a few optimized animated .gifs could replace a few of the .swfs and result in faster download times.
    EfV

Will look into that, thanks for all the help, currently running through the validator as we speak, once I get all the code validated and all the graphical elements optimized as best I can I will come back and see what difference it has made

Just wish I could see what he is seeing as it is always lightning fast my end even after completely clearing my cache and removing all the stored temp internet files, closing the browser and re opening it, it is still pretty fast under 30 seconds for every element to fully load

I did create some test pages if you have the time to tell me which loads faster if any etc

3 pages the first one gets rid of the 9 featured machines and the news flash sections
    The second one gets rid of the youtube video on the right
    the third gets rid of the flash rotating advertising banners throughtout the page

http://www.mti-online.net/test1.php
    http://www.mti-online.net/test2.php
    http://www.mti-online.net/test3.php

Yeah the YouTube video took about 30 seconds of the 60 seconds to download. So the rest of the site did load in about 30 seconds.
    To get your page to validate you may want to switch your Doc Type from XHTML to HTML, you'll find that more appropriate for the type of coding you are doing.
    EfV

I was just using the standard doctype that dreamweaver cs4 inputted for a php file?

But I am fixing all the validation errors and properly formatting the code to be valid at that so should be ok?

Your current doc type is declared as XHTML.
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
    <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
    If you can validate that, fine, but the code is HTML. So you could use
    Code:
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
    Best wishes,
    EfV

I thaught the xhtml was just a different version of html for use with stricter coding etc such as always closing tags with /> if they dont have an ending tag etc and keeping all the values correct always having height and width and alt in images etc

Whats the major difference???

It always sets the files as xhtml when i create php dynamic documents in dreamweaver cs4 and html if i just chose .html documents instead of php?

Thread Information