www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Page Load Times Lots of PHP and Flash

Page Load Times Lots of PHP and Flash

I am in the process of developing a site for a client and have the main page underway

I vewed it on 2 different computers in IE and FireFox and it loads pretty fast usually in under 5-10 seconds for all the flash and images etc to fully load

However my client keeps saying at his end it takes upwards of 5-10 minutes and he and several members of his company have all said the same on several different computers in a couple of different countries so nothing specific to just his machine or internet connection

But always loads fast where ever I try it??

Anyone who has a few mins spare could you visit the site below and report back here roughly how long it took to load, what internet connection your using and what browser etc

Thanks in advance

http://www.MTI-Online.net
    OriginalFundRaisingWidget - Free "Non Commercial" PayPal FundRaising Widget, for Charities, Organizations and Individuals, Hosted Free. Check It Out

Maybe they have a modem connection? In any case, that's a pretty bloated page. http://websiteoptimization.com/services/analyze/ show's it as being over 300KB, and they recommend keeping pages under 100KB. Try your page on the above link to see their specific suggestions. (I have FlashBlock turned on, so it loaded pretty quickly, but then of course there was hardly anything to display since 90% of the page was Flash. )
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Thanks

The thing i dont get though is it loads fast for me on several different computers and net connections

They tried it on several computers and different fast high speed connections and it always loads too slow
    OriginalFundRaisingWidget - Free "Non Commercial" PayPal FundRaising Widget, for Charities, Organizations and Individuals, Hosted Free. Check It Out

Another thing i ntoice is, this site is being redesigned from an original, the guy Im working for claims this site takes even longer to load than the original which took a fair few minutes

However that testing site claims the load times for this one are far less than the original???

You could always develop a site using XHTML + CSS rather than flash! No offence but the first thing I'd do if I came across that site is hit the back button, never mind wait for it to load.

Yeah already thought of that but my client likes th flah menu's an news section, images at bottom etc, and I cant recreate those in xhtml + css

Other sites manage it fancy with flash but fast so what am I doing wrong??

Why does it load super fast on my standard cable internet but slow on anything he tries it on of similar internet type??

Well for one thing your page makes 110 HTTP requests totalling 1.75MB of data. These are mostly from a single hostname meaning pipelining is limited to 2 simultaneous requests in most browsers. You have scripts at the top of the page which disable simultaneous requests until they have been retrieved. You don't have far-future expires headers set for any of your static content, you are not gzipping any output, and you have misconfigured ETags. The request latency is also fairly high for me, although obviously that is going to depend on client and server locations.

There are also other possible factors such as your client not viewing the site with a cache enabled, or just having a crappy connection.

So there's a few things to be going on with :P

As for the client likeing the flash stuff, it's your job as the web developer to try to educate the client. The vast majority of the flashy crap on that site can be replaced with gifs and javascript, both of which have the benefit of being available to far more clients than flash. And using flash for navigation is bordering on inexcusable in this day and age.
    Last edited by Mindzai; 10-19-2009 at 04:02 PM.

Can you point me to any good resources of info about gzipping, my misconfigured ETags and this far future expires headers you mentioned

Thanks for all your help its been really appreciated

I will search for all that myself but if you know of any great resources with detailed guides and info that would be great as Im not that used to optimizing big sites Im more of a php scripting guy myself and just got landed with the extra work and couldnt say no lol

This book and the accompanying site are a very good place to start.

Ok thanks for the info

Ok heres a puzzler that i just dont get

I used that site to check download times etc

Well i checked download times for the site and it was saying slowest 14kpbs modem was around 138 seconds, now heres what gets crazy

My client says it takes over 10 minutes sometimes to load, BUT he says a site he tried to load called www.sky.com loaded almsot instantly so he doesnt have a slow connection

I decided out of curiosity to check sky.com on downlaod speed test thing you sent and that claims over 500 seconds for the slowest connection type and progressivly faster as u get better connection types etc

So my thing is how come his site which it says loads faster than this other site, is loading way slower than it according to him?

We have checked with removing his cach/temp internet files etc and all that and his site was slower than sky.com and sky has way more to download and supposidly takes way longer but in his case it is much faster than his site, however I still have NO issue loading either site incredibly fast usually less than 20 seconds, especially now I have optimized the site a little i shaved off a good 10-20 seconds off the times listed on that test the first time round

Still puzzled though as to whats causing him and all his staff which all work from different locations on average through high speed internet connections, not to be able to view it properly, I am trying to reduce the flash replacing the ads with static images and trying to figure out a way to replicate the 9 rotating images at the bottom in something other than flash that looks just as good but not sure what

I dont know of anything else that can replace the news reader and looks just as good as that one does and do the exact same functionality so it will have to stay for now

Thread Information