www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Terrible Websites! Where are they?

Terrible Websites! Where are they?

There are many websites out there which are terrible. The color scheme is bad, there is too much text, too many errors, too much animation, and so on. I would like to see some of these sites.

I encourage you to post sites here which are particularly bad for whatever reason. I suppose web developers could use this collection as a nonexample for how to design pages.

I found a few, but I know there are many others which are worthy of note. Please post them here.

Draft through the Internet with the help of Google - and you'll come across plenty of terrible websites. Extremely terrible are mainly those which are desolate If I find some I'll post them here

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Depends on what you consider terrible I guess.

I think this site has some flaws. I know I'm not the only one that has a 19" monitor rotated 90*. So all the little "Recent Articles" things on the right side of the screen really squishes the left forum side to about 65% of the screen. It's not impossible to read of course but with 5 columns to get squished into 65% it does tend to cause each subject to be 4 or 5 lines in height.

And of course you can check out my own sites. I'm not a designer with graphical knowledge. I'm more technical and look for ways to provide the content in the clearest way possible.

Check out http://www.mooks.us or http://www.shadowrun.us I've done some css work on shadowrun.us and it's certainly not working correctly, but it works fine for me

Carl

I would consider a 'bad' website one with terrible graphical elements. It could be an abomination of all GUI standards and logical or common-sense design practices. It could hurt your eyes, be unreadable, contain too much animation, or even have too much clutter. Basically, a bad site in this respect would just be an atrocity of any sense of design.

Ah, so Geocities.

Carl

Is geocities closed? It looks like it's down, but I remember seeing it.

Yea, Yahoo pulled the plug on Geocities yesterday or Monday.

Carl

I don't remember it too much. What was Geocities?

Free web sites for anyone. You got access to a loader and a directory and could then create a web site. I had a few. Lots of rotating skulls, blink text, and marquees. Sites that would make your eyes bleed. But sites with lots of good information. At the end, it was harder to find the good sites.

Check the wikipedia for more info.

Carl

http://mrinitialman.furtopia.org/Exp...r/horrors.html

This is one I created to show that totally valid HTML, CSS, and completely clean JavaScript did not mean it was a good page.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Initial Man View Post
    http://mrinitialman.furtopia.org/Exp...r/horrors.html

This is one I created to show that totally valid HTML, CSS, and completely clean JavaScript did not mean it was a good page.
    you really should put a warning on that for people prone to seizures.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

I was referred to http://www.e-careers.co.uk/ for training, but when I saw it, it looked a bit like a dating website or adult themed website. It's awful!

I wrote to the people expressing my thoughts about how awful it was, and asked if they were sure I could trust these people; if their website is so bad, how can I trust them to train me to make good websites?

There excuse was that their target audience are people who are not very experienced with the industry. What exactly do they mean by that? 'We made our website look bad to make our customers feel better about their ability'?

Quote Originally Posted by rhsunderground View Post
    you really should put a warning on that for people prone to seizures.
    For both my book and the website I have it on, I do indeed have precisely such a warning.

Quote Originally Posted by JTweedie View Post
    I was referred to http://www.e-careers.co.uk/ for training, but when I saw it, it looked a bit like a dating website or adult themed website. It's awful!

I wrote to the people expressing my thoughts about how awful it was, and asked if they were sure I could trust these people; if their website is so bad, how can I trust them to train me to make good websites?

There excuse was that their target audience are people who are not very experienced with the industry. What exactly do they mean by that? 'We made our website look bad to make our customers feel better about their ability'?
    You're right. It DOES look like a dating website. A very dodgy one.

Thread Information