www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: How does freelance work?

How does freelance work?

I am a graduating student here in the Philippines...

I am planning to accept projects and do some web based applications for small companies...

i have read the other thread with regards to the pricing of the project... but how does the flow of freelance work?

1. client meeting( this involves data gathering about the company and know their current process to know how the system will more or less work?
    2. present a prototype of the project based on the interviews..
    3. do the changes that the client would want to change
    4. present the final output
    5. maintenance

so in what part does the payment actually go?
    and what if the client requires something that i cannot actually do? will i reject it? or outsource it?

Freelance allowa you to manage your time as well as your quantity of work. If you want to take a task - then take it, if you don't - then leave it - you are FREE!

It can be pretty informal and vary in any number of ways. But, I think one of the general, more structured flows is like so:

1. The potential client send sends out a Request for Proposal (RFP). This document outlining their needs, preferably in great detail. These suckers can get pretty lengthy.
    2. You potentially meet with the client to clarify their needs.
    3. You, the freelancer/consultant/firm, then respond with a Proposal, which includes a billing schedule and estimate, based on an hourly rate. These estimates are best-received as not-to-exceed estimates. This proposal is then submitted by mail, in person, however you agreed upon in step 2.
    4. You meet with the potential client to discuss and revise the proposal. Repeat this step as necessary.
    5. You and the client both sign the proposal / work order.
    6. Work begins.
    7. Bill as stated in the agreed upon proposal.
    8. When you feel the project is done (remaining in good communication with the client about this), supply a document that states that the project is completed to spec. Both of you sign it.
    9. Send out invoices for any remaining bills.

I think that covers the basics.

You might find it beneficial to sign up at a place line elance.com. It's a pretty decent place to find RFPs and submit proposals, and manage the project and communcations thereafter. They also have some basic contracts available for use.

Oh. And you should probably interview some lawyers and accountants and make some agreements with one of each. You don't want to spend your time doing taxes and keeping up with the legal issues on your own. I spent a good deal of time researching tax and legal information--and when I finally got the information I needed, I found I didn't have the time to do things legally or correct on my own while doing the real work.

do i need to show the screenshots of the system before they actually pay the down payment?

That is for you and the client to be determined. Sometimes it makes more sense for the client to provide you with a mockup, sometimes it makes more sense to provide the client with one. Sometimes, mockups may not be necessary at all.

Thread Information