I'm putting together a new tooltip javascript function (this one with div gernerated drop shadows). It's not really done enough for a write up yet, but you can see a working example here:
http://www.stansight.com/DropShadowTipBox.html

I'm trying to make this as easy as possible for developers to use, but I have a question about how it's implemented. Currently to use it you place the function call within an 'onmouseover' attribute, like this:
Code:
<a href="#" onmouseover="tooltips('Tools tip message number 1');">
But - this means you need to use both the double and single quote mark, which means if your 'tip' has quotes it can get real messy. I thought of changing it so you just used a class name instead of an 'onmouseover'. Somethng like this:
Code:
<a href="#" class="tooltips" tooltipsMsg="Tools tip message number 1">
Where I would scan the page for all items with the class "tooltips" and automatically create onmouseover events for them, displaying the text found in the attribute 'tooltipsMsg'.

Is this second approach too obscure? Non-intuitive? I don't want people looking at the code in the page wondering what the heck is going on. I want it to be easy to use even for new and semi skilled developers.

Any thoughts ?