www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Inserting stuff to a wordpress layout

Inserting stuff to a wordpress layout

Hello,
    I am not new to web building but I started using wordpress for the first time recently and unfamiliar with its coding. I have a very basic question about it. Lets say I want to insert a poll program that I have or I want to insert a picture or a calendar or any element into a wordpress layout (or should I say theme I am not sure). Is that possible or once you start using a theme, the layout and everythings is pretty much fixed?

In other words, getting stuck to whatever the theme allows me is not what I want. Can you insert any element that you like at any location? If so can you describe how should I go about it (which folders etc...)?

Note: I am not talking about inserting stuff to posts here. This is about inserting things to the pages.

Yes.
    You can do anything you want with wordpress.

If you want to use raw HTML "in the loop", (that box where you enter your page or post text or html) - you should install a plugin.

I use the "Raw HTML" plugin for wordpress which works great. Then you can embed JavaScript or whatever you like and it will work. Otherwise, it will not.
    RAW HTML PLUGIN FOR WORDPRESS: http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/raw-html/

It works like this...
    1.) Download and install the plugin (you can do it from your dashboard under plugins)
    2.) Activate the plugin
    3.) Wherever you want to run some html or javascript or whatever, simply tag it like this:

HTML Code:
    [raw]
    <!-- Some javascript or html or embed code or whatever... -->
    [/raw]
    There are other ways to make things appear outside the loop and only on certain pages.

For example, suppose you have a script that you want to run ONLY on a single page, say, your homepage... and just above the main content... maybe it's an advert, or a calculator, an iframe...

Do this:
    PHP Code:
    <!-- iFrame at top of home page only BEGIN -->
    <?php if (is_front_page()) { ?>
    <iframe frameborder="0" src="http://www.YOURURL .com" width="700px" height="215" name="foo" scrolling="no"></iframe>

<?php ?>
    <!-- iFrame at top of home page only END -->
    That will put an iframe only on the front page... whatever page you use for your URLs main page.

Good luck
    Last edited by donatello; 11-21-2009 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Added hyperlink for "Raw HTML" WordPress plugin

Sidebars

One more thing... to insert coding or things into your sidebars, USE THE WIDGETS!!!

Go under Appearance>Widgets

Then just put a text widget in the sidebar you want to modify... then you can insert any script you like. That little box is like a mini-HTML box where it will not mess up script as "in-the-loop" does.

This feature makes customzing WordPress easy as pie.

Thanks donatello this is great help, very detailed, just what I was looking for. I have a few more questions based on your reply:
    1-I am still not clear about what "loop" means. Is it in the control panel?
    2-I did not see that [raw] tag before, I searched it and didnt find anything, is it somethign we use in wordpress and what is it exactly?
    3-I know some php but I am not clear about the coding { ?> like you wrote above. You write a bracet } and then finish php and after that start again like <?php } ?> . I did not understand the usage of it, saw it before somewhere else, but wasn't clear about it anyway.
    4-This question is very general: As you are explaining, it looks like we can do whatever we like with the functionality and the apperance. If we do so, what is the difference of using Joomla vs wordpress, I mean I know with wordpress you can handle news much better but can you not do it in Joomla too?

In-the-loop: When you make a post or write a new page, there is that white text box where you type everything... that is called "In the loop", and any scripts that you enter there will not run.

RAW HTML is a PLUGIN that you must install to your plugins directory! Only after you install the plugin and ACTIVATE it, will the [raw][/raw] tags work.

Read up on the documentation...

Read through my answer again... I showed you exactly how to insert an iframe that appears ONLY on your home page...

You must go to:
    Appearance>Editor

Then edit the code for the page called "page.htm"

Read up on it, and try to use plugins and widgets to do what you need... you should not need too much PHP with WordPress these days.

Thread Information