www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Junior Project Ideas?

Red face Junior Project Ideas?

Hello everyone,

I'm a junior in college. I need your suggestion. Kindly come up with a good junior project idea for me.

I'm proficient in graphic designing, implementing Adobe CS4 package in my work. I can code HTML, some Java and C#. I'm moderate in CSS and Javascript and have had some work done using Dreamweaver. I have also touch base on MS SharePoint Designer 2007, didn't really like it as much as DW. I know very little about DotNetNuke - I like its capability to create a portal page, modules, etc. Maybe something I should consider learning.

So... I was hoping to create a webpage of some sort, with functionality but can't think of anything "creative." I have had friends who used myPHP SQL and implemented an online shopping cart onto their "dummy" online shop. I could do something like this... but it's not really original.

So if you could, please suggest something.

I have less than a month to come up with something before next semester starts!

Thanks a bunch!

Quote Originally Posted by kelliethile View Post
    [...]but can't think of anything "creative." [...]but it's not really original.
    Junior. "Creative" means, more or less "Art". Art and creativity are not eligible for teaching/learning. Art and creativity are born-with attributes. They come from the inside of a human soul. Nobody taught Leonardo da Vinci or Vincent van Gogh how to be creative. They were creative because they were so. They were taught by their masters only the technical part of the job, not the creative one. No one can teach you how to be creative, really Just do what you think and you feel you can do. Creative or not, that is what you are able to do. No more, no less.

Keep searching and looking at as many others sites as you can. Look at them, compare them, try to copy some of their ideas, but always try to do more than that, even if you don't know exactly what and how. But, besides all: Think. Think of what, why and how you are doing all the things. The most important attribute of a human being is the capability to ask himself and the others: why?
    Last edited by Kor; 11-09-2009 at 10:22 AM.

I work with a lot of students every year who are doing their projects. Most schools in Mexico now require a "community service" project related to the piece of paper you are going to receive.
    A good rule of thumb is to choose the type of project you want to do... and have a good reason for doing it. Common ideas are web pages for local charities, churches, schools, service groups, etc. Choose this first and then the specifics should fall into place...
    Common programming needed for these kinds of sites...
    • contact forms
    • on-line donations
    • member / admin area
    • bulletin board
    • on-line assistance (chat)

With this short list there is more than enough to demonstrate your skills while assisting a group or cause that you are already familiar with. They probably already have their logos and some sort of print campaign at hand... so your "creativity" has a head start.
    ...but stupidity is terminal.

opifex,

thank you for the suggestion.

i was actually thinking of volunteering for a local charity company, who is need a student to create a website for them!

thanks a bunch of the the common programming lists! you are a great help.

Why not design a Mobile site for Webdeveloper.com ?

Last time I looked at this site on my not-so-smart-phone I had a very hard time weeding through 6 or 7 pages of top nav links.

I'm English so what exactly is junior college? What age?
    I'm doing a design degree and we certainly don't do anything that complicated (although this is my first year) is there not some briefs to follow or criteria to meet?
    It would depend if you needed to show off your design skills or programming skills I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by chaz2290 View Post
    ...what exactly is junior college?
    A junior *in* college.

It means he is in his third year (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, Senior) at a University.

And it sounds he is looking more for design with only a little programming.

Ahhh I see, fairly advanced stuff then.
    Learn smt new every day!

Thread Information