www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: .gif & .jpg verse .png

.gif & .jpg verse .png

I used a lot of HTML book and when it comes to Graphics they all say the same thing that .png images are very old unfamous while .gif and .jpg and still pretty new and famous but what i notice when i make a image and convert it into .png it show image in the best color blend etc. with the smallest file size while .jpg shows the image the best but has like a 1MB file size the same with .gif and so on why are people telling me .png images are the worst when they are really the best ?
    Many people already feared the staff because they banned there *** !

Note that older browsers doesn't support png format, and if you are pretty good in photoshop, you can make a jpg image lower then 30kb at 400x400px with a good quality, I guess with a png not.

Swon

PNG is actually newer than both GIF and JPEG. It was meant to replace GIF. PNG should be used when there are large sections of solid color, JPEG should be used when there is a large distribution of color (such as real life images).
    for(split(//,'))*))91:+9.*4:1A1+9,1))2*:..)))2*:31.-1)4131)1))2*:3)"'))
    {for(ord){$i+=$_&7;grep(vec($s,$i++,1)=1,1..($_>>3)-4);}}print"$s\n";

Originally posted by swon
    Note that older browsers doesn't support png format,
    NS 3 you mean?
    PNG is supported in 99.9% of the browsers in use that show images at all.

and if you are pretty good in photoshop, you can make a jpg image lower then 30kb at 400x400px with a good quality, I guess with a png not.
    That depends on what is actually IN the image.
    A png image can be substantially smaller then a jpg under certain conditions.

A general advisory for what to use when is.

* Images/drawings with few colors - PNG
    * Fullcolor images/photos - JPEG
    * Fullcolor images/photos where you want to use an exact copy of the image without compression losses - PNG (the need for this on a webpage is very unusual)
    * GIF is ALWAYS a worse option then PNG. There is no point in using GIF EVER for static images.
    // Stefan Huszics

PNG also (theoretically) allows full alpha transparancy. See this page for an introduction to all the super-duper features.

When making this choice, you should be aware that IE/Windows has serious problems with its PNG support (which is criminal given how many other Microsoft apps can handle them just fine) See this page for details of browser support.

Originally posted by blufive
    When making this choice, you should be aware that IE/Windows has serious problems with its PNG support
    Take note though, that the problems IE/Win has with PNG images is almost exclusivly with advanced features not available in other formats at all.

Thus it's only not allowing you to take advantahe of PNG to it's full potential, not making the format a worse choise then eg GIF.

(which is criminal given how many other Microsoft apps can handle them just fine)
    Even more so when you consider that IE/Mac was one (if not THE) first browsers with really good PNG support.
    Since then years have gone by and several versions later IE/Win still has eg crappy support of PNG alpha transparency.
    // Stefan Huszics

See my signature

Thread Information