www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] URGENT help needed: .htaccess not forwarding!

I remember that .htaccess files are updated on the servers at godaddy every hour on the hour, so that means at:

1:00
    2:00
    3:00
    ----etc...

NOT at 1:32 or any odd hour.

This drove me MAD once.
    This is probably your issue.

I don't know why the ding-dongs at Godaddy could not simply pass on this info.

I read this on the web, but it did not work

Many of the tutorials I read about 301 redirects using htaccess gave me this code:
    Redirect 301 /oldurlextension http://www.newurl.com

However, this code didn’t work with Godaddy. I had to use this instead:
    Redirect permanent /oldurlextension http://www.newurl.com

Quote Originally Posted by donatello View Post
    BINGO!!!!

I remember!!!

Wait until the TOP OF THE HOUR!!!
    I forgot all about this as it drove me MAD once!!!

Go and have a beer or coffee and come back at 1 minute after the hour...

http://help.godaddy.com/article/1641?isc=isc_code
    wow! did not know that... BUT if I am seeing instant results as we do some tests, that would tell me they are taking quicker than 1 hour, no?

plus, I actually had this done yesterday and when I checked today, no redirect. so, I have to try each test, wait 1 hour.. try again, wait 1 hour??

right now, the most current version on the server uses the

Redirect permanent and not Redirect 301

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by etard View Post
    wow! did not know that... BUT if I am seeing instant results as we do some tests, that would tell me they are taking quicker than 1 hour, no?

plus, I actually had this done yesterday and when I checked today, no redirect. so, I have to try each test, wait 1 hour.. try again, wait 1 hour??

right now, the most current version on the server uses the

Redirect permanent and not Redirect 301
    Dang!
    I'm stumped.

Sorry I could not be of more help...
    Something must be fishy though as the script I showed you works on the site I showed you and it is hosted on a Godaddy VDS.

I've run out of ideas... maybe someone else can jump in?

Good luck!

...run out of ideas...

- OR NOT -

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.domainname.com
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domainname.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^GET\ .*/index\.(php|html)\ HTTP 
    RewriteRule ^(.*)index\.(php|html)$ /$1 [R=301,L]

so, what exactly does this last script do? I am not sure what it does

also, do I just put my domain in place for "domainname"?

That is someone else's script and they claim it works on Godaddy to rewrite their html as php files.

I'm logging off for the nite - I'm bushed! ... it's after midnight here, and I've been up since a 5:00 a.m. airport run...

Good luck.

Please post the solution if you get it resolved or if one of these ideas led you to a happy resolution.

Good night.

THANKS... will keep trying and posting.

this last script may not work as it is not just html to php extension changes, it is also that file names have totally changed as well.

but that is a full site redirect, why wouldn't you want to do page by page, one by one and get the pages sent to their correct new page and not generically the home page. I mean, if it is a custom 404 page or the home page, does that really matter? the goal would be to get old pages sent to their new page location, no?
    same result as mine.. gives me the default custom 404 page, but not the splash page

so.. as of this very post, I tried every script we posted here thus far. none work as expected. they either

(1) send me to the custom 404 page - which search engines will see as 404
    (2) send me to the splash page BUT the page does not load scripts/css and it is just page content with no look or feel. styles and scripts are stripped! WTF?

so far, on GoDaddy, no way to 301 redirect old page direct to new page using .htaccess file!

I would settle for splash page redirect WITH styles intact, but want to redirect old page to new page as I should be able to.
    Last edited by etard; 11-18-2009 at 05:41 PM.

still no solution to do individual 301 redirects old page URL to new page URL

scoured the web, tried all ideas here, nothing works on GoDaddy server to allow URL by URL redirects

...run out of ideas...

- OR NOT -

Code:
    RewriteEngine on
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} !^www\.domainname.com
    RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.domainname.com/$1 [R=301,L]
    RewriteCond %{THE_REQUEST} ^GET\ .*/index\.(php|html)\ HTTP 
    RewriteRule ^(.*)index\.(php|html)$ /$1 [R=301,L]
    this just gives you a 404 if you hit an old html page

I remember for godaddy, there were different ways of writing them...

Hang on... I did one for godaddy that redirected all old/dead pages to the homepage instead of a 404

Here is my .htaccess that works on Godaddy to redirect all dead pages to our homepage instead:

Code:
    # BEGIN WordPress
    <IfModule mod_rewrite.c>
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-d
    RewriteRule . /index.php [L]
    </IfModule>

# END WordPress
    tis one has the crazy effect that when you hit and old URL or a non existing page, you get the home page BUT from then on, you cannot escape the home page.. it keeps you in that directory by adding an extra ../ directory and so thus you just keep endlessly cycling into the splash page!!

crazy!

I got an email from GoDaddy that said

We have reviewed your issue with Custom Error pages on your hosting account. The issue you were experiencing was due to rewrite conditions in your htaccess file. The .htaccess file you were using, which appeared to be the default wordpress file, contains a number of rewrite conditions that state not to display files and directories unless they exist followed by a rewrite rule to show the index.php for everything else. This value would override our custom 404 error page rules causing the index.php page to be displayed anytime a file or directory name that did not exist was referenced. It appears you have removed the htaccess file that was in the hosting and have begun using permanent redirects, resolving the issue of these rewrite rules in the previous htaccess..

BUt as you know.. the "permanent redirects" on their server are NOT working.. hit those old URL links and the .htaccess file I first posted should kick them over to the new page BUT they do not work on their server.. I responded, I wonder what they will say as they act liked i fixed the problem, but since the .htaccess file I used is not working, they are wrong

tis one has the crazy effect that when you hit and old URL or a non existing page, you get the home page BUT from then on, you cannot escape the home page.. it keeps you in that directory by adding an extra ../ directory and so thus you just keep endlessly cycling into the splash page!!

crazy!
    Huh?

Strange! It works perfect here:
    http://www.gladstonellc.com/it-works-here

Thread Information