www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Two Words: "FTP" And "Why?"

Two Words: "FTP" And "Why?"

Okay, I've heard a lot of talk about FTPing and using FTP programs blah blah blah. I'm a bit lost... what exactly does this do, why is it good, why is it better than... whatever else... and where can I get one?!

I'm befuzzled...
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is the simplest and most secure way to exchange files over the Internet.

from a search in google, theres loads of results

one good reason for it is that on some hosting sites (eg. freewebs), you can only upload one file at time, but if you get the premium service, you get ftp access. This means you can upload multiple files at once.

I'm not sure I fully understand, but I'm checkin' out some of those google links.

Thanks!
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

ftp = your passing files from your computer, to your "hosts" computer. ftp is used for any interaction or updating of your website.
    Theres this thing called imperfection. Its the one thing everyones got but nobody wants.

I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you??? Everytime we lie awake... after every hit we take.. every feeling that i get.. but i haven't missed you yet. only when I stop to think about it... I.. HATE.. EVERYTHING ABOUT YOU! Why do.. I Love you? I HATE Everything about you! Why do I.. love you?

you dont necessarily need an ftp program to add files to your host
    you can if using windows, (dont know about others) open internet explorer and type in the ftp address, and then drag and your files, although you need to know where to put them!

I've seen a number of web hosts block FTP access from Internet Explorer. The default settings for IE are to log on to FTP sites as anonymous for a username and an e-mail address for a password.

Is there a way to change this? Kind of a random side note, I know.

FTP is the industry standard for saving and deleting files from web servers if you cannot directly access the web server (actually walk up to the keyboard attached to the web server). Just think of an FTP program as a go-between for you and the web server.

You give the FTP program a command to upload, or save, a file, but the exact way to do that on the web server computer may differ from the way your computer does it. The web server may be running Unix for an operating system and you may have Windows. The FTP programs, both on your computer and the web server, know exactly how to save and delete items using the operating system so you don't have to.

A couple of good FTP programs are WSFTP LE and Smart FTP. Do a google search for either to find a place to download it. Smart FTP is free and WSFTP LE is a freeware version of WSFTP. Smart FTP looks more like Windows Explorer. Dragging and dropping is easiest in this program.

Now that you know FTP is a primary file mover on the Internet there is an additional capabilty that you will use for more advanced sites using CGI. Good FTP clients allow you to modify the "permissions" of a file hosted on *nix boxes. This is critical because you have to use the permissions to make scripts (that are really just text files) "executable" and visible only to the correct users. That is why a lot of folks like the WSFTP client for Windows.

Whoa, what feedback. Thanks a lot guys!
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

The bottom line is ftp is the easiest and fastest way to move files. I use ie for my ftp as apposed to a client just because it is faster in my opinion. If I have a folder open to begin w/ that has the files in it. I can simply go to favorites to my ftp folder which I added there, and my login is stored so basically copy and paste from the to folders. FTP clients can be good but using windows to do it just seems to be faster to me.

Well, it sounds like everyone did a good job of the explanation. However, with security in mind (this may be nit-picking) you may want to do a search for a Secure FTP client. Same thing as FTP and all the client programs look the same, but with security in mind. FTP is to telnet (insecure) as SFTP is to SSH (secure).

Smile

The default settings for IE are to log on to FTP sites as anonymous for a username and an e-mail address for a password. Is there anyway to change this?
    ftp://[username]:[password]@[ip]:[port]

so for example

ftp://me:secret@168.0.0.1:21

But if you're using windows (typing it into internet explorer or something) plz download smartftp www.smartftp.com or leech ftp or any other ftp client. Using windows for ftp sucks bigtimes.
    Last edited by troy1984; 11-28-2003 at 04:30 AM.

Does Dreamweaver have an FTP feature on it? I've just registered with a web host that requires me to use FTP. I used to use Freewebs and you can just edit the HTML files on the server by logging in but now it's all a bit more complicated. I'll probably be posting here a bit more now as This is the first time I've used FTP (as I'm sure you gathered from the rest of the post )

WS FTP is free and easy to use. Get the Lite Edition.

I'm quite sure newer versions of Dream Weaver have FTP support. I know Frontpage does. Consult the documentation.

Regards.

Thread Information