dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Computer Virus from an update?

Computer Virus from an update?

Hello

I recently had a computer virus of which I surmise snuck in while I was updating my Spybot Search and Destroy.

After the update Spybot gave me some notice asking about reloading or doing...something to a file and asked for a retry or cancel..so I chose "Retry" and that was that.

Afterwards when I tried to open the "My Computer" icon, I'd get the window but also the little flashlight icon as it "searched" for the contents.

I closed it and retried and it opened yet now all the icons were rearranged and with each consecutive opening of "My Computer" things would change, even the appearance of the menu bar.

SO I proceeded to try and use AVG Virus scan and it wouldn't open..I would keep getting this Microsoft warning window about a problem with the AVG something-or-another file and couldn't continue. Wonderful. Just....wonderful.

So I rebooted into safe mode did the scan and although it claimed no virus was found, everything was back to normal.

So everything seems ok but just today I had to uninstall AVG and reinstall it because it again claimed a problem with a file. I figure that since I had, at one point, had to do a full program update I just installed the new over the old.

Not such a good idea.

Anyways, this is about the second time I have gotten a virus via a Spybot update so I uninstalled Spybot and downloaded the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool.

Also..because of all this, when I defragment my hard drive, it tells me there were some files it could not defragment but when I view the report, nothing ishows for the files it could not defragment. Why is this?

Also has anyone ever run into this sort of problem of getting a virus during a program update?

Thanks

It would appear that AVG and Spybot Search and Destroy have some conflicts.
    Having multiple "anti-spyware / anti-malware" programs installed and running simultaneously on Window$ can provoke the same oddities as having multiple "anti-virus" programs installed and running... one identifies the other as "bad" and eliminates or quarantines part of it; OR one or the other or both simply stop working correctly possibly damaging other files in the process.

You might want to consider the benefits of using an OS that doesn't require that you install such programs to protect you from the inadequacies of its own design.
    Last edited by opifex; 11-28-2009 at 08:33 PM.

Well..I was not using the Spybot Tea Timer nor did I have it monitoring anything. I simply used it to scan my computer every now and then..even at that it never became alerted to AVG components but yet I wonder..they had been playing nice all this time..would an incompatibility really mess with things like changing the appearance of the menu bar icons, eliminate icons in the sliding menu or suchwhat?

Sorry..I do not mean to complain. See..the first time I had gotten a virus from a spybot update..I did not even have an anti virus program at the time and that virus pretty much killed the root system, couldn't even start in safe mode...yep..it ate my poor hard drive.

Fortunately I had the foresight to back up all my data just in case I had to do a system reinstall but..so far it is ok but I am still having a problem with the defragmentation..it will claim there are files it cannot defragment yet when I view the report..it doesn't show anything.

Odd.

Anyways I thank you for the reply.

It sounds like you might have a dormant virus that you didn't fully eliminate the first time. Some viruses won't go away even with a format since they hide from fdisk or squat in the MBR.

Well..the virus I had was on another hard drive. The one I have now is a new one.

Sorry..I should have been more specific.

It's also possible you got a rootkit of some sort that went undetected and went ka-boom on a timer or something...viruses can be tricky beasts. I got a virus at work a couple weeks ago just by plugging into the network (on a "trusted" domain no less).

"Trusted Domain"..that is what really gets me is that you would assume these domains/servers are protected somehow but then again this is the downside of having programs that are updated through a whole list of servers.

Right now I use AVG Free and they have their own update servers so maybe it is more secure but I guess I had to learn my lesson again but fortunately it was not as hard of a lesson as the last.

Problem is that nowdays any file can be infected with a virus..even a font file so now when I do a weekly virus scan I also scan folders in which I have had new downloads in and do a full computer scan about once a month.

I would like to try AVAST! but as a backup to AVG. I wonder if it is possible to have both without them interfering with one another.

I wonder if there really is a reliable anti-virus program out there? I have tried Trend Micro, Symantec and Norton..all were total zonkers. They worked marginally when they had their free subscription but if you do not plan on renewing the subscription then you'd better uninstall it a month after the subscription runs out as it is designed to break down if there are no updates/subscription renewals.

Heck, the one I had from Norton (or was it Symantec?) even went so far as to create problems just so it could report supposed problems and then go about "fixing" them.

I swear..some day I am going to build another computer just for the internet and use the other for my graphics work and all. It is getting so precarious to have one computer doing everything and if it gets infected then everything is compromised.

Thread Information