www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Declaring Arrays with constructors or just []

Question Declaring Arrays with constructors or just []

Strictly speaking, is it more correct to declare an array using the constructor:
    Code:
    var myArray = new Array();
    or is it acceptable by standards to simply declare an array using an empty subset:
    Code:
    var myArray = [];
    JSLint accepts both methods, but it won't read run-time "strict" errors or warnings. It's very difficult to find strict JavaScript information

They are identical. The shorthand notation is more concise.
    At least 98% of internet users' DNA is identical to that of chimpanzees

So, both are accepted as standard?

The only difference is you can't declare the initial length of an array using short syntax, i.e. there's no equivalent for

Code:
    var foo = new Array(5); //start with 5 empty keys

Quote Originally Posted by jamesbcox1980 View Post
    So, both are accepted as standard?
    Yeap. The second one [] is linked with JSON: http://json.org

Code:
    var x=new Array(), y=new Array, z=[];
    x==y==z==true

NOTE: you don't need to use new with Arrays...
    Last edited by rnd me; 12-03-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mitya View Post
    The only difference is you can't declare the initial length of an array using short syntax, i.e. there's no equivalent for

Code:
    var foo = new Array(5); //start with 5 empty keys
    i beg to differ:
    Code:
    x=[,,,,,];

But i'll gladly concede the point for Array(99999)....

Lol (oops, sorry..).
    Length declaration? We don't need no stinking length declarations....

Quote Originally Posted by rnd me View Post
    i beg to differ:
    Code:
    x=[,,,,,];

Well that's cool I didn't think about it that way! Thanks. Also, I was just reading JSLint's documentation, and it looks like it prefers [].

Quote Originally Posted by astupidname View Post
    Lol (oops, sorry..).
    Length declaration? We don't need no stinking length declarations....
    Length declarations help with memory management on the C side though don't they?

Length declarations help with memory management on the C side though don't they?
    I personally have not a great deal of knowledge of C, have studied C++ a bit and do know a little (very little) about the requirements there somewhat for length declarations. It is to the best of my knowledge not an issue in javascript, I presume the compiler recreates and garbage collects upon every change to array in javascript, but I could be a mile off on that, unsure. All I know is that it is not required to use length declarations, and even advised against (total waste of code and requires more memory usage to invoke via 'new' keyword -unless you go rnd_me's way! ha ha)) to some extent, in javascript.

I personally have not a great deal of knowledge of C, have studied C++ a bit and do know a little (very little) about the requirements there somewhat for length declarations.
    Sorry, that's what I meant-- C++.

Cool, thanks for the info everyone!

I personally have not a great deal of knowledge of C, have studied C++ a bit and do know a little (very little) about the requirements there somewhat for length declarations

advised against (total waste of code and requires more memory usage to invoke via 'new' keyword -unless you go rnd_me's way! ha ha)) to some extent, in javascript.
    pre-sizing offers no memory advantages. a numeric argument to Array simply sets the .length property for the purposes of methods.
    An array is basically a generic object with a custom toString, .length, and [SET] method, where numeric indeces are bundled in the toString/valueOf methods.
    This is how the [SET] method differs from say, the String() constructor, where using "new" (or not) makes a diff...

Omitting "new" does nothing; only on custom generics does omitting new prevent the apropos prototype binding.
    With Arrays, you always have array.pop, and all other normal protos for that matter.
    Last edited by rnd me; 12-03-2009 at 04:13 PM.

Ah, ok. See, the purpose in setting the array length is that in other languages, the array size cannot be automatically increased. But JS does this automatically. I just found another good reason for always using brackets: http://www.hunlock.com/blogs/Masteri...rays#quickIDX1

So my conclusion is that using brackets is generally more correct than using the "new" constructor. There might be some proprietary instances where you need to initialize an empty, sized array using the value or property of something else and loop through it or something, but for the most part the "new" constructor is not needed.

Omitting "new" does nothing; only on custom generics does omitting new prevent the apropos prototype binding.
    I had a discussion about this with someone a while back, and they claimed it DID in fact produce a lot of prototype overhead. I'm not sure which to go with, considering that person's advanced knowledge of JS.

Another question, when considering prototypes and other object bindings, are arrays treated the same as HTML collections or object collections? Like getElementsByTagName or an object array containing date objects

Also, Kor mentioned linking the array with JSON when using []. What exactly does that mean?

Thread Information