dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: CMS Made simple: Confused

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    LOL, read the manual... Thats what I did do and it told me nothing other than what was within the CMS itself and nothing to do with the issue at hand. To be frank, the CMS wiki is pathetic, it does not provide any user meaningful support. The support in the forum is atrocious and judging by my lurking, I see a pattern.

I have since ditched CMSMS after it got hacked (and I wonder who, not why or how as the hack forgot about the audit trail and modifaction I made to harvest IP addresses,etc.) so I have started to write my own bespoke version ground up so that I know what goes in, no backdoors and has some of the features of security I was requesting assistance with CMSMS but got blatantly ignored.

For me, CMSMS showed their true colours. All I can say is use it with caution and if you find all your service requests seem to be turning in to paid support... dot the i's and cross your t's because as sure as a cat is a feline, your being taken for a ride.

THAT is all I have to say on the matter.

I have not personally used cmsms so i can't comment on that, but judging from your other replies i'd have to say you just don't know how to use the various software you're talking about. As simple as that...
    Hopefully no one here follows your advice, as cmsms may actually work for their project because they may use it correctly. And yes, security is a common issue with "all" software, as no software is 100% secure, if it is provided for free it is generally up to the developer to secure it, thats nothing new. On top of that it is often individual developers who setup such software incorrectly that cause those insecurities in the first place, i wouldn't be surprised if that was the case here.
    Last edited by Jarrod1937; 05-23-2010 at 09:44 PM.

I could work the thing perfectly fine TYVM.

As for your comments, laughable. The widget I wrote was simple, it took your IP address, the port, the requested URI and a couple of other nuggets of information directly from SMARTY which CMSMS is built upon and stuffed them in to a separate database.

I did the same for the other sites I help maintain and what do you know...

In short, I hit a raw nerve, they didn't like it, so they did something about it and if CMSMS want to say anything about it, well they know my email address as I have a log, not only data from the CMSMS databases but my own tracking system.

As for setting up software... Well lets put it this way, I installed CMSMS as it came out the box on the server as per install script supplied by CMSMS, so IF ANYTHING was off about it, the thing was "BUILT IN" form the beginning. So your comment and argument is mute.

You state that you have never used CMSMS but you sing their praises later in your comment about my inadequate or lack of understanding in its management...

Judging from you reply, you do not seem to know what your talking about.

No disrespect intended but until you have been on the receiving end of CMSMS support, you don't know jack.....

This is why I am specifically writing the "Admin" side of things so that it is impossible to hack, mainly because until editing is needed, no such URI for an admin path exists. I asked for simple information on where to find how to rewrite the URLS and I got told not to do that, why? Is it because they want access via the back door as a superuser?

Quote Originally Posted by JunkMale View Post
    I could work the thing perfectly fine TYVM.

As for your comments, laughable. The widget I wrote was simple, it took your IP address, the port, the requested URI and a couple of other nuggets of information directly from SMARTY which CMSMS is built upon and stuffed them in to a separate database.

I did the same for the other sites I help maintain and what do you know...

In short, I hit a raw nerve, they didn't like it, so they did something about it and if CMSMS want to say anything about it, well they know my email address as I have a log, not only data from the CMSMS databases but my own tracking system.

As for setting up software... Well lets put it this way, I installed CMSMS as it came out the box on the server as per install script supplied by CMSMS, so IF ANYTHING was off about it, the thing was "BUILT IN" form the beginning. So your comment and argument is mute.

You state that you have never used CMSMS but you sing their praises later in your comment about my inadequate or lack of understanding in its management...

Judging from you reply, you do not seem to know what your talking about.

No disrespect intended but until you have been on the receiving end of CMSMS support, you don't know jack.....

This is why I am specifically writing the "Admin" side of things so that it is impossible to hack, mainly because until editing is needed, no such URI for an admin path exists. I asked for simple information on where to find how to rewrite the URLS and I got told not to do that, why? Is it because they want access via the back door as a superuser?
    I think Jarrod was remarking on your various other threads where you appear to bash several other software packages because you admittedly don't understand them. You also went on a rant about Linux in general some time ago because it wasn't exactly the same as windows. I'm not saying CMSMS has good support in any way, just that I'd still take my chances if it fit the project well given your post history.

JunkMale were able to trace the attacking IP addresses to CMSMS? This post sure suggests that to be the case.

Criterion understood more of what i was getting at. If you bash every software known to man its like the boy who cried wolf. Your previous bashing of many different types of software, for which many have had positive experiences with, lower your credibility when complaining about another piece of software, even if those complaints turn out to be legit. However, please don't take my comment personally (which you seem to since you even pm'ed me...). It was merely a remark from an outside observer, not a direct attack.
    And lastly, no i wasn't defending cmsms, if you reread my post it states:
    "Hopefully no one here follows your advice, as cmsms may actually work for their project", which means will it work for everyone and their projects? I don't know, but it was more so a suggestion that they try it themselves instead of being completely turned off by your posts.
    "install script supplied by CMSMS"
    Which may be true. Technically a lot of cart software packages come with installers too... but there is still plenty to do even after the installers have ran to get the software running optimally and securely. But as i said, i don't have personal experience with cmsms so i can't comment specifically on their software, i can only extrapolate from my past experiences with other packages.

software is opensource.

so unless anyone looks at the codebase, you have no idea if a backdoor exists or not and it is always wise to assume that much.
    Yes, I know I'm about as subtle as being hit by a bus..(\\.\ Aug08)
    Yep... I say it like I see it, even if it is like a baseball bat in the nutz... (\\.\ Aug08)
    I want to leave this world the same way I came into it, Screaming, Incontinent & No memory!
    I laughed that hard I burst my colostomy bag... (\\.\ May03)
    Life for some is like a car accident... Mine is like a motorway pile up...

Problems with Vista? :: Getting Cryptic wid it. :: The 'C' word! :: Whois?

Thread Information