www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Scriptaculous Effect.Appear anomaly in Chrome/Safari

Scriptaculous Effect.Appear anomaly in Chrome/Safari

A simple hide and appear almost straight out of the Wiki. For some reason, however, in Chrome/Safari, the second element (nav) disappears abruptly after appearing. It works perfectly in IE6/7/8 and FF. Does anyone know why Chrome/Safari won't properly Both elements have no display styles. I've tried a few different ways, but the Effect.Appear method just doesnt work correctly in Chr/Saf

you can see the live page at http://chiefmoney.com

Code:
    document.observe("dom:loaded", function() {
    	$('content', 'nav').invoke('hide');
    	Effect.multiple(['content', 'nav'], Effect.Appear, { speed:1.0 });
    });

I have not checked Chrome (actually don't have) but it works in Safari 4.0 (Windows) if you give the "nav" div any height other than 0 in the css for it, such as: height:1em; , but using "auto" won't work either.

Thanks, it was height of the 'nav' element that was the problem. Setting it to 1em made it appear, but only the tops of the links responded to rollover, so I set it to a specific height and it works.

thanks a lot.

I'm having what I think is the same problem. If you view this web page in chrome:
    http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1

At the top there is a ticker. It works fine in IE/FF. The bottom item fades off, works fine. The new one scrolls in from the top using Effect.Appear. It shows for a split second then immediately dissapears again. Here is a typical div for one of the news items:
    Code:
    <div id="news601735" style="vertical-align: middle; display:none"><a rel="nofollow" href="/forums/showthread.php?t=601735">The best trumpet player ever</a><span class="bluegrey"><b>  .  44 Replies</b></span></div>
    Calling:
    Code:
    Effect.Appear('news601735');
    Results in the item showing for a split second then immediately dissapearing. I tried adding in a height style property and had no luck. What am I missing?

Thread Information