dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: disable 'Edit with.....' option in IE

disable 'Edit with.....' option in IE

hi,
    Is there any way to disable 'edit with microsoft word' option in the file menu of Internet explorer using javascript. Please help me.

No, why would you want to do this anyway?

As one of my client want this to do as he thinks that some one can use that "edit with.." option to copy images from his website. Already i disabled right click option so that no one cant copy the image by right clicking on it. Also the images are watermarked but still they don't want this edit with.. option in the browser(specifically in Internet explorer only). So only am asking.

Anyone with a little knowledge can copy images from a website, even ones with right click disabled.

resolved

Quote Originally Posted by mharishm View Post
    Already i disabled right click option
    You haven't prevented people from stealing your clients images, you've just succeeded in annoying the hell out of them. Aside from watermarking the images (prior to uploading them), then anybody can get their hands on them whenever they want. Exlain this to your client and get rid of whatever ridiculous js code you are using to "disable" right clicking.

As one of my client want this to do as he thinks that some one can use that "edit with.." option to copy images from his website. Already i disabled right click option so that no one cant copy the image by right clicking on it. Also the images are watermarked but still they don't want this edit with.. option in the browser(specifically in Internet explorer only). So only am asking.
    Tell your client to give up. There is no way to do that. Think only of this ultimate solution: the user might simply use the PrintScreen key of his keyboard and he has a copy in clipboard of what he sees on his display. Paste it in a graphical editor (like Photoshop) is a piece of cake.

thanks a lot for your reply.... if you have time once you look at the istock website i.e, http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php..... there this option is disabled. so i thought there is a way to do that.... so plz if u fing solution inform to me...

thanks a lot for your reply.... if you have time once you look at the istock website i.e, http://www.istockphoto.com/index.php..... there this option is disabled.
    Who cares about "File -> Edit with Microsoft Word" option tool from IE browsers? Does your client believe that people who wants to copy/paste something from a site will stumble on that? Till now nor I even knew that there is an option like that in IE... I bet 90% of the users don't know or don't use it.

What about: View -> Source in IE ? Ha?
    Or even more : File -> Save As -> Save as Type [Webpage, complete] ?

There is also an IE Developer Tool for IE which can edit and analyze the code...

You could try on using Flash or Flex zones, maybe... But even so there are tools to re-edit a SWF file as FLA, more or less accurate...

Once again: I am quite sure: NO WAY to prevent a copy/paste within HTML media, if the user wants to, by all means.
    Last edited by Kor; 12-09-2009 at 11:15 AM.

ok thanks for the info kor...

thanks for all the replays..... that doesnt mean that there is no way to do that... just have a look at istockphoto.com.... the 'edit' option is disabled but if u copy the source code of that page and run it in your local machine that 'edit with microsoft word' or 'edit with VC++' or 'edit with zend' etc will be there in the file menu of internet explorer... which means that there is a way to do that.....so as a developer i just want to know how to do it..... thats it... i know that this will be annoying to teh user who uses the site... but as a developer i just want to how to do it

Thread Information