www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Need help with a flash external image issue

Need help with a flash external image issue

Hi

Well basically what I have is a small flash script that pulls a little info from a dynamically generated xml file and uses various bits of info to display stuff within the flash

A flashVar is used to obtain an id number which is used when referencing the database to get the info in the dynamic xml etc

I have had the xml part working previously, but now I am kind of starting from scratch and trying to do a simple layout including a dynamic image and some bits of text

When i do a test movie within flash it shows the image just fine (from an url input)

However when I upload it to a site and try testing it online it doesnt show the image

I have tried several different scripts and this was the first i could get to work in the testing and was annoyed when it did not work online aswell lol

If anyone can offer any code or suggestions of where to obtain it, all I want is a bit of actionscript 3 that obtains info from a php dynamic xml file, takes that info and puts a couple of bits of text into the flash and takes an url to an image given within the dynamic xml content and uses that url to display an image within the flash, the image being a set size and in a set location on the flash

My code enclosed

in an external actionscript file
    and fla file as well as some swf files
    Attached Files Attached Files
    OriginalFundRaisingWidget - Free "Non Commercial" PayPal FundRaising Widget, for Charities, Organizations and Individuals, Hosted Free. Check It Out

From your comments I'm wondering if it's a pathing issue:
    When i do a test movie within flash it shows the image just fine (from an url input)
    I take that to mean that you are testing in Flash BEFORE placing the Flash on the Web page.
    However when I upload it to a site and try testing it online it doesnt show the image
    I assume that you uploaded a Web page with the Flash on it. Is that correct?
    Unless you are keeping all the related files, including the html Web page in the same folder, the relative path from the Web page to the .xml and/or the image url will have changed. So if there is a change in the relative location of Web page, then the url path in the .fla or the .xml will need to change to reflect that.
    Maybe you are already aware of this pathing issue but it's the number 1 problem when "it works on my local machine but not on the server".
    Best wishes,
    Eye for Video
    www.cidigitalmedia.com

Yeah thanks for the suggestions, I have already modified all the paths to direct full url paths to try and avoid this issue but it still did nothing so I dont think that was the problem
    OriginalFundRaisingWidget - Free "Non Commercial" PayPal FundRaising Widget, for Charities, Organizations and Individuals, Hosted Free. Check It Out

The flash itself works when I click the test movie option from within flash while I am editing it etc

But once I upload it to a website and embed it in a page, the flash doesnt fully work

I see the brief loader flash that is a spinning circle to indicate something is loading, this happens while the image is being loaded but then once that vanishes and the image is supposed to now display it does not

Can you copy the direct full url path for the images into a Web browser address bar and directly download the image?
    Since there are a number of possible problems, I guess at this point it would be most helpful if you posted a link to the actual page.
    EfV

Well not sure what is going wrong but when I use a image such as images/localimage.jpg

instead of http://www.somesite.com/images/urlimage.jpg

the local works but url doesnt, so the script loads images fine but only if its a locally stored one referenced locally not by a full url

Yes the full url images work in the browser on their own so that is not the problem i dont think

Are the images hosted on your own domain or are they being called in from an outside domain? If they are, it could be a cross domain security issue which prevents them from being used on your page.
    EfV

the images I tried were on a different domain I did not try own domain other than locally referenced images that worked

So maybe your right

But working with local images is fine for what I am doing so I will stick with that

Thread Information