dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Mailing Forms

Unhappy Mailing Forms

I have been researching for days and need help please! I am fairly new to web design, and I am familiar the most with Dreamweaver. I am creating a site, very elaborate site, and I need to be able to email invoices to an administrator email account. I don't want to use an smpt email service and have seen a lot of talk about CGI scripts. The host for the account has what I need only if we signed up using Lunix, but we signed up using Windows. So does anyone know of anyway to email without smpt or CGI scripts? Or is it even possible? Can PHP codes be inter-twined with html? Any help on this would be great!

I guess I don't understand your desire not to use smtp services? CGI and PHP use SMTP services to send mail. The only part that CGI, PHP or any server side language is doing is capturing the information, it's up to the mail server to do the rest.

If you're on Windows, creating a form to do this is cake. Not trying to toot my own horn, but....

http://www.webreference.com/programm.../ASP_Net_Form/

Maybe I am misunderstanding my options. I want clients to be able to place an order and hit send, and have the information sent to me directly. I don't want an external mail program like Outlook Express to open up that they HAVE to use to send me the information. And I am on a Mac, not PC so the ASP.NET article wasn't helpful. Thanks anyways though Ryan!

Right, using that approach is fine and any server side scripting language will do that. If you're on Window, PHP might be supported, if the host has applied the php.dll file to IIS. Some hosts even have a pre-installed mail script you can use. Either way, whatever language you choose, it will work without the client having to use Outlook or any other mail client for that matter.

Ok, thanks Ryan! I do believe our host has the mail script needed! Thank you so much for your time and information! Learning all this in-depth technical web stuff is forcing me to pull my hair out!!!

Thread Information